Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

When you die you cease too exist and basically you will never be alive again..... i am just wondering though how can you possibly describe or imagine a state of eternal nothingness?????????

Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt but still it would be interesting too have some opinions or views on this?

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:12 am

Jamesy wrote:
When you die you cease too exist and basically you will never be alive again..... i am just wondering though how can you possibly describe or imagine a state of eternal nothingness?????????

Nothingness is not a state. You won't be "there" to experience it. Do you remember the nothingness before your brain developed? No, because there was no "you" to experience it. You don't have to describe or imagine a state of nothingness, because there is no "state" for you to describe or imagine - it's nothingness. Nothingness is just nothing. Life ends, your brain shuts down, your experience ends. As such, there's no use trying to imagine anything beyond the experience of dying, because the part of your brain that experiences life and the event just before brain death won't be there to experience the emptiness that follows.

What does a camera record when it is ground into a powder? The answer isn't just "nothing". The answer is "that question is nonsensical because there is no camera anymore".

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

I think the same way as you. I'm not sure if I believe in an after-life or not and just thinking that we'll never exist anymore is unfathomable. Never ever ever ever ever ever..... It's like sleeping without dreaming....forever. It's a scary thought. I think that scary thought is what religion was made out of...the fear of dying. In a way it's not so bad to believe in something but I don't know, I just think too realistically.

DefinitelyKmart
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm

tried for ages to work it out, don't even bother dude, its not worth wasting time on!
, seriously i feel unfortunate they we have developed to become painfully aware of our own mortality!

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

Jamesy wrote:
i am just wondering though how can you possibly describe or imagine a state of eternal nothingness?????????

It will be just like 1748. Do you remember that year? Me neither :) The year 2183 will be exactly like 1748 for you, meaning that you simply won't be around to experience it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

moved from Random Discussion to Politics, Philosophy, and Religion

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

To be surrounded by nothing is quite impossible on earth.... but in space it seems possible.

If you can explain nothing then you can explain why life exists. And if nothing exists then anything can surely exist because nothing is surely impossible since it doesn't have form... Something from nothing, would be - nothing. So the emphasis on a ending makes no sense - since we are nothing to begin with. The more stable argument might be that we will neither travel to god, nor cease to exist.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:33 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
It will be just like 1748. Do you remember that year? Me neither :) The year 2183 will be exactly like 1748 for you, meaning that you simply won't be around to experience it.

Pfffft! I remember 1748 well. I proof read Euler’s fifth paper on nautical topics. Not the most interesting read of the year though. I also met John Cleland while in debtor's prison and he had more interesting ideas for literature. Never got to read his finished book though, I died in the Spring of 1749 after slipping under a carriage. I'm looking forward to 2183, it is the year I join the Martian terraforming team. Fascinating time. :P

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

It really is think of it as a state of mind you cant understand unless you have belieifs in a after life as well.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt but still it would be interesting too have some opinions or views on this?

You can't.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

In order to acquire information about something you must interact with it. Light must relect off it into your eyes, sound vibrations must emit from it (or reflect off it) into your ears, you must touch it, particles from it must stimulate your olfactory senses, or you must read the writings of someone who has experienced these things.

For this reason, you can never know, for example, the state of the sun at this moment. You can only observe the state of the sun 8 minutes ago.

So in a state of nothingness, there is no possibility of interaction. Not only is there complete sensory deprivation, there is also a complete absence of cognitive activity.

Unless, of couse, your consciousness has been uploaded into an artificial neural network. (As is apparently the case with TallyMan, and I want the details!! !)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

Ever heard of something called "sleep"?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 12:27 am

surrounded by the metaverse beyond my senses, my limited earthing mind simply can't conceive of true "nothingness." maybe in outer darkness...

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 12:33 am

Simple.

The nothingness is nothing. Utter nothing. Not even black, because you are dead you can no longer even experience black, you cannot experience the nothing, and so there is nothing.

You will reap what you've sown.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:12 am

if we previously did not "exist" until we were conceived, then we die, who's to day that couldn't happen again?

As much as your physical material will be gradually consumed or recycled, maybe eaten and become part of other organisms. Maybe the same could happen to whatever essential chemical processes or energy makes your conciousness work. It could disperse at death and become part of something else. Maybe a hive of bees. Who knows.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

There are strange cases of young children who claim to remember past lives. Who knows? But its interesting that pshycologists claim that children only become aware of themselves around age 3-5. So before then they are observers in a universe which they don't even know they are a part of.

For me nothingness is like when I had a general aneasthetic. I remembered nothing from the time I was out. So I reckon it will be like that when I die. Then if I end up having another life as a human, or an animal or a plant then it will be like coming out of aneasthetic but with no memory. Then slowly over time I will become aware of what I am, just like I did in this life. But there is no reason to assume that I will have another life.