Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

How do you build it? Or develop it?
I know confidence should come from repetitive positivity, but willpower seems a challenge. It's an either you've got it or you don't type attribute; Currently it's making progress in my life frustratingly slow as all my big plans get cut short with the little willpower I have.

I'd like to change and put into action the things I want to change and believe that those things will have a positive effect on my life, but engaging them seems impossible. I cave in to the bad, negative comfort traits when I hit a difficult spell or event and find it difficult to get back on track before all the progress I had made, was lost.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

I keep the end result in mind. Just an example, if I want to buy something and need to save money I think about the thing I want to buy. If the goal seems overwhelming then I break it down into smaller goals and reward myself each time I reach one. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you where looking for but it's what get's me motivated. I don't know if that's willpower though.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm

This is one thing I've never personally had a problem with, so hopefully I can help a little. It is my belief that everyone can learn to have as much willpower as they want to have, it's just a matter of changing your way of thinking (which isn't necessarily easy to do). Basically the way I go about things is I don't give myself an alternative. For example, let's just say that, starting tomorrow, I want to exercise for 1hr a day for the next 6 months, and I've completely made up my mind that I'm going to try and do it. So, I will set a time that works best for me during the day, and spend that entire 1hr block exercising, no ifs ands or buts. There's no "maybe I'll just skip this one day", because then it ends up becoming a habit....you just go and do it and in the end feel better because of it. Of course sometimes special circumstances may arise like you come down with the flu or something, but I'm sure you get the picture!

Once you allow yourself to consider alternatives, then that's often where people go wrong. Obviously in the example above, if I think too hard about it I may say "I would MUCH rather sit on the couch and watch T.V. right now than go exercise, and if it would be that much more enjoyable why shouldn't I??" And once you start to get those kinds of thoughts into your head they can be really hard to get out lol, so you just can't let them get in there in the first place.

Another factor is motivation. Obviously, if you have no motivation to perform a certain task, then you won't have much willpower to perform it either. So, depending on the task, you have to find ways to make yourself get motivated. For example I'm moving soon and it's really hard to get motivated to pack everything up...but I just think of how much easier the move will be if I get started sooner, and how nice it will be to move into a new place, and it gives me a surge of energy to get going lol.

Without knowing more specifics about what you want to do it's hard to provide too much advice, but hopefully this was in some way helpful to you!

DeadOperaStar
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2012, 12:56 am

willpower is not an attitude, or an on/off switch. it is an energy of the mind, much like we have an energy of the body that allows for our muscles to perform various tasks. it is a limited psychological resource. the key word here is limited. every person has a certain capacity for willpower. some people have an innate great capacity for willpower. lucky them. others, like you and i, may have to work to build our capacity over time. it generally doesn't happen overnight, no matter how hard you may try to think positively or force yourself to do things.

for me, it helps to visualize the capacity for willpower as an energy bar for special abilities in a video game (or think of the sims with all its various bars). when you're in the beginning stages of any game, your capacity is usually low, and your plan of action must be molded according to that relative lack. in other words, be conservative with it. don't blow it all in one go. save it for important stuff, like the boss at the end of a level. this means starting small. try your capacity against smaller tasks, and see how well you perform. when you find you can move on to larger, more involved tasks without straining yourself, do it.

of course, there's something to be said for straining yourself at times. it can be rewarding to push yourself to the limit. it's a way to define yourself, and discover your capacity in detail. i wouldn't recommend doing it too often, though. it's also a great way to burn yourself out, and find yourself in the midst of a lot of disappointment, and you may quite possibly regress into bad habits to cope with that disappointment.

speaking of disappointment and such feelings, don't get discouraged by people who expect you to change all at once, or look down on you because you didn't start the game out with a high capacity. it doesn't reflect anything on your work ethic(in fact, if you exercise your capacity every day, you're really putting out a lot of effort), your character, or your intelligence. it's also possible and even likely that you have other great qualities that they lack in themselves.

that being said, while willpower is not as simple as just choosing to be successful and choosing to have good habits(if it were, we'd all be successful, wouldn't we?), it is still at least partially a choice. the change doesn't happen right away, but the exercise and development of our capacities must. what i mean to emphasize is development and training, which are achieved through consistency. what this means is that willpower, contrary to popular opinion, isn't a powerlifting competition. not everybody can go lift a truck, and most of us shouldn't even try. but all of us can and should improve our strength to the best of our abilities.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 7:23 am

I feel I'm just about starting to develop my will power... it does happen and it does come. I like the idea of "Make things super, super easy for yourself when you approach something... with the idea of doing something that you want to do sooooo simply that you cannot resist doing it, like doing it for 20 seconds"
If you approach something with the super, super easy feel for it, then that 20 seconds may expand a lot, even in the same sitting say, and you may well get the ball rolling. :) Good luck! Never give up! :)

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 3:21 am

Just keep working, willpower is an aquired skill for most people.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Apr 2012, 7:32 pm

practice makes perfect. and dont worry about how you get there

sparkie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2012, 8:29 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Just keep working, willpower is an aquired skill for most people.

Willpower is more to do with confidence, the more you have the better life gets but its getting that break in life & that can come from the most unusual place as I have discovered. Sure personal circiumstances differ as I have mild autism & had a pacemaker to stop my low blood presure in the mornings but that got me my own place & still had to more or less start from scratch as I had few friends.

In time I gain some new friends often by chance which spilled though to other areas & building better communication talks. Sure thing could be better but then things could be a hell of a lot worse l certainly don't think my schooldays were the best days of my life.