Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

Anyone hyposensitive to sound? I am to a certain extent. For example, some people say that someone's singing voice is horrible and I am like, "what do you mean?", Unless the singer is really bad, (or myself) I don't notice. I don't judge music based on the quality of the singers' voice. When I believe someone has a bad singing voice, I don't go "ow! that hurts my ears!" or anything. I am also not bothered by fingernails on a blackboard at all or certain loud sounds that tend to bother other people. When I little, I used to like the sound of the fire alarm, it startles me now, but I liked it when I little. And high-pitched noises don't bother me much at all. Also, no sounds ever "hurt my ears". When I was at daycare (I was about 3 or 4), the daycare lady used to say that screaming "hurt the ears". I never understood it why because sounds never hurt my ears.

Can people with autism have hypo-sensitivity, or is it also hyper-sensitivity to sound?

Edit: Hmmmmm.........no responses, if the answer is "no", I am OK with that. My theory is that this is extremely rare, so I am exactly surprised or anything though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 12:22 am

i've long been hypersensitive to treble noises but hyposensitive to bass noises. but as i grow older this is reversing, as my high-frequency aural acuity is lessening. now the thump/rumble/roar and boom from nearby joint base lewis/mcchord is bothersome to the max, whereas when i was a young thing i reveled in loud deep bass noise.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:13 am

I'm not really sensitive to bass or treble, though off-key singing--or singing a well-known song in a key I don't like--can make me cringe.When I was younger, the sound of two paper towels rubbed together was the worst thing ever. I don't get along well with Loud music and crowd noise in enclosed spaces.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:18 am

when i was a school-aged kid, i absolutely couldn't stand the high-pitched high-intensity whistle emitted by the cannister vacuum cleaner, i would run and hide when my mother was vacuuming. when my 6th grade teacher found out about this, he ribbed me in front of my 6th grade class, then parenthetically put in the end that "we must remember that some children have hypersensitive hearing."

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
when i was a school-aged kid, i absolutely couldn't stand the high-pitched high-intensity whistle emitted by the cannister vacuum cleaner, i would run and hide when my mother was vacuuming. when my 6th grade teacher found out about this, he ribbed me in front of my 6th grade class, then parenthetically put in the end that "we must remember that some children have hypersensitive hearing."

I would hum along with the high-pitched vacuum sound. Not sure why I did in hindsight. What did make me run and hide, though, was the loud roar of military jets taking off from a nearby base.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:35 am

FishStickNick wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I would hum along with the high-pitched vacuum sound. Not sure why I did in hindsight. What did make me run and hide, though, was the loud roar of military jets taking off from a nearby base.

btw, welcome to our neat little club :)
when you mention humming along with the vacuum cleaner, that reminds me when i was a kid and at the dentists' office, i'd see other little kids whistling or humming high-pitched emulations of the dentist's drills, so i am curious if you did this humming to lessen the scariness of the vacuum cleaner's harsh whistle or to block it out? or was your hearing insensitive to the whistle? just curious. :)

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 1:42 am

auntblabby wrote:
FishStickNick wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

btw, welcome to our neat little club :)
when you mention humming along with the vacuum cleaner, that reminds me when i was a kid and at the dentists' office, i'd see other little kids whistling or humming high-pitched emulations of the dentist's drills, so i am curious if you did this humming to lessen the scariness of the vacuum cleaner's harsh whistle or to block it out? or was your hearing insensitive to the whistle? just curious. :)

It's kind of hard for me to analyze because I don't precisely remember my thought process at the time, but I think to some extent it was to block it out.