Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2012, 2:57 am

I have no idea what it's legitimately called.

Most of the people I know do not work out and yet they have "ret*d Strength", I do strength training at a regular basis but my friends that don't work out are WAY stronger than me and my older brother whose muscles are all at least an inch smaller than mine can lift a lot more weight than me.
What is this and why don't I have it?

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 3:13 am

An Olympic weightlifting program will build your strength faster as opposed to a body building program. It really depends on the type of training program you are on? Are you on a training program strictly for aesthetics?

I'd try to explain it in a scientific way explaining the various forms of hypertrophy and how they impact strength and size but it would probably be confusing so I'll post a couple of articles that explain it better.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... equal.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale6.htm

Quote:
The basic idea presented in this article is there is a relationship between size and strength, but strength increases can occur due to other reasons. Just as size increase can occur with a non-linear strength increase.

marginalized
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Apr 2012, 3:17 am

ret*d strength is based on the same principle of why little monkeys are way stronger than humans. They lack fine motor skills, so they fire all the muscles at the same time.

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2012, 4:07 am

marginalized wrote:
ret*d strength is based on the same principle of why little monkeys are way stronger than humans. They lack fine motor skills, so they fire all the muscles at the same time.

So... Because I have more control over my body, I am weaker?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYYzKo6S9g[/youtube]

I don't know, we've all seen what you're talking about. For me anyway, I got a weird set of genetic cards. I got tree trunk legs, and then twig arms. So pushups, bench press, all that stuff that tends to get used as a measure of strength nowadays I'm crap at, but I can squat and deadlift a good amount without really too much training (ie, I was able to do 225 parallel at 180 pounds with a manta ray squatting my first time ever.) But, it's pretty much as the song says. Genetics. Yay.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

I've always been very strong in pulling exercises (more so than my NT peers of similar size), but I also have problems with fine motor skills (eg. handwriting).

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 1:42 am

1000Knives wrote:
I don't know, we've all seen what you're talking about. For me anyway, I got a weird set of genetic cards. I got tree trunk legs, and then twig arms. So pushups, bench press, all that stuff that tends to get used as a measure of strength nowadays I'm crap at, but I can squat and deadlift a good amount without really too much training (ie, I was able to do 225 parallel at 180 pounds with a manta ray squatting my first time ever.) But, it's pretty much as the song says. Genetics. Yay.

I've got the opposite. I've got chicken legs but a massive torso complete with 16" arms. Yet, no ret*d Strength :/.