Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RadioHead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2005, 7:20 am

I decided to create this topic because my interest in the Matrix has been rekindled recently. Its a pretty popular movie, so I think most of us here would have watched it. So I created this topic for anyone who wishes to discuss the movie.

Well, after wactching it again with I have decided that the matrix is somewhat anti-aspie. Or at least can be interpreted in that manner. Here's a couple of things to think about:

It is implied througout the film that to be human is to have intuition and the freedom to be irrational. Intuition seems to be something people with Aspergers lack, esp. social intuition. On the other hand, the machines are shown to be logical and methodical in their approach. People with Asperger's are highly logical. Another thing about the machines is that they are very purpose driven and do everything within parameters. This can be likened to single-mindedness, another thing that Aspies are usually described as.

Another thing is that Aspergers people are commonly described as being averse to change. (Although I as well as others here claim that we are only averse to changes that are detrimental) Now consider these two snippets of dialogue:
(Matrix 1)
Neo: You do not want them to see this because you are afraid of change.
(Matrix 3)
Architect: You play a dangerous game, Oracle.
Oracle (chastising) : Change always is.

Finally, the Architect. Let's compare his similarities to someone with Aspergers syndrome. First, he monologues to Neo in a rather wooden manner. Second, he seems obsessed with repeating the same thing over and over ie. reloading the matrix. Third, the reason why he is reloading the Matrix is because of his failure to understand human behavior.

Of course, the movie isnt totally in favour of intuition over logic. The Matrix came about as a result of mankind's irrational behaviour and unwillingness to tolerate the machines. (Animatrix) Also, the ending of the Matrix seems to imply that some sort of balance must be struck between man and machine.

So any thoughts on this?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 7:31 am

Speaking that way, it seems like it can even be an allegory for the balance a person must seek within themselves, between the emotions and the logical based thought. Probably, it also applies to human civilization.

I don't think it was anti-aspie, considering it's doubtful the creators even know what Asperger's is. I personally found I could only relate to Agent Smith and the Oracle in that film. I also found the Architect's role to be rather pointless. Honestly, I prefer not to acknowledge the existence of the last two films of the trilogy. When I speak about the Matrix, I only speak about the first film.

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2005, 7:47 am

Heh, I took a leadership development course for work around a year ago, and everyone in the class seemed to think that my looks, demeanor, and speech patterns mirrored those of Agent Smith. I was even kind enough to do an impression for them after a girl from class lent me the first two Matrix movies (I hadn't seen them before, so I had no idea of what they were talking about at first).

I asked a coworker of mine if my behavior really appeared that much like Agent Smith's, but he said that the correlation wasn't as clear as a lot of the people were making it out to be. Everyone seems to agree that my voice sounds just like Nicholas Cage's, though, for better or worse. I greatly dislike the quality of my voice, incidentally.

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 10:27 am

I haven't seen the Matrix because my mom won't let me watch it... it's rated R... sometimes she's so paranoid...

But i am interested anyways, so i'm just waiting till i'm out of the house so i can pick up a copy of all three movies, maybe in about 5 years...

One time, this kid named Josh came to school dressed like Neo. Everyone was talking about it. However, the teachers were thinking about another Columbine, so they made him take it off. Stupid teachers...

I'll really have to see the Matrix... It seems like a good movie...

Archmage

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 12:22 pm

people seem so afraid of what may come with machines, what others are missing is that what goes into our creations comes from us, its our own selves we are fearing, if the machines ever do start to think for them selves they will start out with, for the most part, our mentality, what we have put into them to be aware of. they will have little awareness of purpose in there lives in the beginnings other then what we have created them for and the right to exist as individuals..

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 3:02 pm

It's ironic that Keanu Reeves himself has Asperger's. :wink:

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Feb 2005, 3:11 pm

I know lots of irrational people with AS.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 4:12 pm

I think you're reading into it too much. Loosen up a bit.

I really enjoyed the Matrix.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2005, 1:06 am

Aspergian_mutant wrote:

Quote:
people seem so afraid of what may come with machines, what others are missing is that what goes into our creations comes from us, its our own selves we are fearing, if the machines ever do start to think for them selves they will start out with, for the most part, our mentality

so we should really be afraid :roll:

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2005, 1:07 am

ghotistix wrote:

are you sure about that..never heard that mentioned before

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2005, 1:30 am

MrMeaner wrote:
ghotistix wrote:

are you sure about that..never heard that mentioned before

The page at http://www.autisticsociety.org/article773.html contains a list of people suspected of having high-functioning autism, by which they mean AS. Others on the same list are Bill Gates, Woody Allen, Al Gore, Beethoven, Einstein, Newton, etc.

Ebi
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2005, 1:50 am

Jetson wrote:
The page at http://www.autisticsociety.org/article773.html contains a list of people suspected of having high-functioning autism, by which they mean AS. Others on the same list are Bill Gates, Woody Allen, Al Gore, Beethoven, Einstein, Newton, etc.

All these "would-be" cases of AS should be taken with a grain of salt. (you got that one, right?...or were you reaching for your salt shaker?) 8O

While there are some that are all too evident (Einstein, Woody Allen and Bill Gates are among the most mentioned by many) it is too tempting to try plaster the AS label into other famous people because of their personality traits... but we might as well be all wrong.

Then again, I couldn't picture the job for a character like Neo being taken by anyone other than Keanu Reeves. There must be a reason to that.

That, and there is still no spoon. :D

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2005, 5:03 am

yes, all of the above (possibly), but...

who cares, as long as you look dead gorgeous in PVC when you're saving the world (Trinity, that is, of course) ;)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2005, 5:52 am

Quote:
People with Asperger's are highly logical

Quote:
Aspergers people are commonly described as being averse to change.

Quote:
So any thoughts on this?

Yes, The movie might be "anti-Aspergers" or something, but i'm anti stereotyping when it comes to AS symptoms.

I'm not that logical.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2005, 7:30 am

Quote:
as long as you look dead gorgeous in PVC when you're saving the world

Give me Switch any day of the week. She was fine!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2005, 7:46 pm

Just give me a Neo jacket and some matrix sunglasses and i'll be happy.