Aspergers School Accommodations Advise Please Help

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

KodyPhoenix72
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2012, 10:55 am

Hi. So, I've recently been going through a screening process to see if I had Aspergers syndrome. Yesterday, the final diagnosis was held and, as I suspected, I am an Aspie. I'm rather happy about this because it explains a lot of my social difficulties and my fixations etc.. However, I'm just a little puzzled about the education side of things.

Yesterday, my therapist asked if there was anything that I'd like to be done in school to help me. I said a smaller exam center would be helpful (for noise etc.) but I didn't know what else to say. He asked if I'd benefit from a teacher who'd help me become more organised and help me with preparing for my exams. I said that it would be useful if the teacher could help me with time management (one of my major flaws) but I was slightly unsure so I ultimately said 'I don't know' when he asked me what I'd think of getting some extra help from a teacher. Now, he's gone away to start writing up the report, which he needs to send to the school and to court (due to the fact that I'm still in foster-care.)

I've now had time to gather my thoughts and I realize that the extra help from a teacher would be useful. I'd also like to be able to spend break-times in the library, away from the noisy crowds. However, I'm a little scared that I might have left this too late and now, due to the fact that he's already started writing up the report, I've missed my chance to ask for such accommodations. Is is too late to ask him? Or would I be able to apply via. the school? Or is it just too late?

Also, what other accommodations are there which you have found useful?