Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MissUniform619
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

Hi everyone, I have been enjoying reading this message board for the last several days. It has really expelled some of the myths and stereotypes associated with Asperger's Syndrome for me. So here is my story.

I am a 33 year old female. To be fair, I haven't been officially d/x'd with Asperger's. I have been undergoing psyche therapy for ADHD (diagnosed since my teen years). I'm in an M.A. program now. Distractability is a serious problem for me. That, along with perfectionist traits and a tendency to focus on irreverent details of any assignment. My biggest distraction, of course, being my obsessive interest, which I'd much rather research to the exclusion of everything else. Also, I'm also extremely anxious. Always have been. I had expected that my therapist would tell me I had an anxiety disorder like GAD or something. A few months ago my therapist noted that I have many traits of Asperger's Syndrome, although she didn't think it necessary to diagnose officially. She told me that labels don't matter for any practical reasons-which I suppose is true.

Also I should mention that I'm a new special education teacher. I got my credential in moderate/severe special education just last year and was also awarded a grant by my university to continue studying education with a major research emphasis on (guess what?) the education of secondary-age students with Autism!

No joke! For the last week or so I have been writing a literature review of sex education programs for students with Autism-I found over 30 sources in peer-reviewed journals and it has been one pretty surreal read.

Hopefully you will welcome me to your forum!

Night_Shade917
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2012, 6:14 pm

Hi Missuniform! Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 7:56 pm

Welcome aboard missuniform.

Hmmmmm...

Sex education for autistic kids.

How different could it be from that for normal kids?

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:15 pm

I heard of of a special education teacher with AS who was treated very badly by other teachers, so you probably want to keep that to yourself (even though it's part of what makes you good at it, they won't get that).

MissUniform619
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

fraac wrote:
I heard of of a special education teacher with AS who was treated very badly by other teachers, so you probably want to keep that to yourself (even though it's part of what makes you good at it, they won't get that).

Really? Why did they treat her badly?

MissUniform619
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2012, 2:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Welcome aboard missuniform.

Hmmmmm...

Sex education for autistic kids.

How different could it be from that for normal kids?

I'm actually only investigating that possibility right now. But it does seem like a lot of what I am reading about involves crisis-management for the moderate-severe population. You know, such as over correction techniques for boys who masturbate in public. That sort of thing.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

MissUniform619 wrote:
fraac wrote:

Really? Why did they treat her badly?

She was on Youtube, maybe someone has the link. I think she was angry at other teachers abusing kids, so she was bullied, and then she was fired when they found out she was autistic. Don't expect this not to happen to you, imo. Power over children is something abusive people don't give up easily.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage