Page 11 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

Declension wrote:
ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
currently take it vigourously up the ass from America

I have a dream that America is going to declare war on Iran this year, and Australia, the UK and Canada are going to grow some balls and not go along with it.

I dream of that too. I won't hold my breath though, Canada is likely to do that before Australia will.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
True but the Welsh where also viewed as subhuman by the British just like the Scottish and Irish where if you go back far enough as well.

They were never viewed as subhuman. Even the Irish were never viewed as subhuman.

The very people you mean to 'defend' would be the ones most annoyed by your statements. In general, the peoples of the UK get on well with each other and there is no bad feelings apart from amongst a fringe hateful element with a chip on their shoulders. (The Scottish and the Welsh can be the worst for this more than the English I find.)

Um yes they where of course you would disagree with a historical fact regarding the UK viewing the Irish as subhuman just look up the hisotry of crulety the Brtish and what they did to the Irish people.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

I have to say that denying that the Irish have been treated as subhuman is quite blinkered. It's a well known fact that the Irish in the UK have suffered from poor treatment in the workplace, due to their heritage. Thankfully, this appears to be a thing of the past. I have stories from my own family which would confirm this and my Dad (only 1/4 Irish, but Catholic), is living testament to the treatment of workers with Irish heritage in the Glasgow shipyards. He stayed right next to Harland & Wolff too and a little light reading on that company would not go amiss (and would be quite fitting, given the event that is being commemorated just now). I would say the use of the word 'subhuman' is pretty accurate.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I have to say that denying that the Irish have been treated as subhuman is quite blinkered. It's a well known fact that the Irish in the UK have suffered from poor treatment in the workplace, due to their heritage. Thankfully, this appears to be a thing of the past. I have stories from my own family which would confirm this and my Dad (only 1/4 Irish, but Catholic), is living testament to the treatment of workers with Irish heritage in the Glasgow shipyards. He stayed right next to Harland & Wolff too and a little light reading on that company would not go amiss (and would be quite fitting, given the event that is being commemorated just now). I would say the use of the word 'subhuman' is pretty accurate.

Thank you but of course Tequila will deny such claims just look at the history not only in the UK but in America we where viewed as subhuman in the US as well.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:06 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I have to say that denying that the Irish have been treated as subhuman is quite blinkered.

It depends what you mean. Indeed, they have been treated very badly by the British in the past but not quite as badly as some people would make out. The potato famine was a horrible, horrible accident but I don't think the Government of the day deliberately set out to kill those people, as devastating as the effect on Ireland was at that time. That said, the Highland Potato Famine also displaced over 1.5 million people in the Scottish Highlands about that time. An awful time in history.

The history of Ireland in the UK is a mixed bag, like anything.

And yes, there was discrimination against Irish people historically. It should not inform present-day decisions though I don't think.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:12 pm

Tequila wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I have to say that denying that the Irish have been treated as subhuman is quite blinkered.

It depends what you mean. Indeed, they have been treated very badly by the British in the past but not quite as badly as some people would make out. The potato famine was a horrible, horrible accident but I don't think the Government of the day deliberately set out to kill those people, as devastating as the effect on Ireland was at that time. That said, the Highland Potato Famine also displaced over 1.5 million people in the Scottish Highlands about that time. An awful time in history.

And yes, there was discrimination against Irish people historically. It should not inform present-day decisions though I don't think.

It does for me growing up in a Irish ghetto in America makes you bitter.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:15 pm

Joker wrote:

That bitterness won't do you any good. The British and Irish generally get on well these days.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:

That bitterness won't do you any good. The British and Irish generally get on well these days.

They do in the UK but not in American people of british descent that live in America are very crule to the Irish americans so we had to form gangs to protect ourselfs when we where in school.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:18 pm

You know that the Irish themselves often really don't like Irish Americans that much?

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

Tequila wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

The potato famine was not on my mind at all. I'm talking about employers refusing to employ Irish people, or those of Irish descent. And some who did employ them, treated them differently from the rest of their workforce. My Dad does not lie or exaggerate and he says he lost the chance of an apprenticeship due to the attitude of his employers to Catholics. My Mum is Scottish Protestant (1/4 English) and her experience in the workplace is way different from my Dad's. They are both in their 70s and I think their stories are quite typical for their generation.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:23 pm

Tequila wrote:
You know that the Irish themselves often really don't like Irish Americans that much?

Not true having been to Ireland befor they had no problem with me being a Irish American because I am Irish first and America just happens to be the country I was born in.

Of course I only speak for my familly that lives in Ireland not all of them will like me but my family and friends in Ireland do.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

Joker wrote:
Not true having been to Ireland befor they had no problem with me being a Irish American because I am Irish first and America just happens to be the country I was born in.

Of course I only speak for my familly that lives in Ireland not all of them will like me but my family and friends in Ireland do.

It's a big cultural stereotype in Ireland - the "Plastic Paddy". See here. It's quite a prevalent attitude in Ireland itself, especially towards Americans who have never been to Ireland (or who have visited only once in their lives) and really aren't Irish at all, but think they are.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:

It's a big cultural stereotype in Ireland - the "Plastic Paddy". See here. It's quite a prevalent attitude in Ireland itself, especially towards Americans who have never been to Ireland (or who have visited only once in their lives) and really aren't Irish at all, but think they are.

I do not think I am Irish I know that I am Irish and I vistit Ireland every year been their plenty of times as I said I was speaking about family and friends in Ireland that accept me how ever the majority will not but I don't care about that.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

You're a country of bullys, it's in your history. Deal with it, and I hope to see the day when you get your comeuppance.

How about Britain stop being a nation of 'bullies' and dropped the imperialist pomp that went with it (I'd include dropping the monarchy in this). Whoever seeks revenge has to dig two graves, as the Chinese say.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

Kjas wrote:
Declension wrote:
currently take it vigourously up the ass from America

I have a dream that America is going to declare war on Iran this year, and Australia, the UK and Canada are going to grow some balls and not go along with it.

I dream of that too. I won't hold my breath though, Canada is likely to do that before Australia will.

We had the balls not to get involved in Iraq, I think we could do it again. Maybe not with our current douchehat prime minister though, who is more like the American Colonial Magistrate

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Tequila wrote:

It's mainly just a dislike of boastful, brash and loud obnoxious people, of any country. Unfortunately a lot of American tourists are quite annoying and treat their time here like an expensive excursion in a
third world country. Of course not all Americans are like this. I've lived in Virgina for a short time and had a lot of fun with some cool people. I also met some complete asshats too, but that's to be expected, it's just that they had guns which was a bit of culture shock.

I don't think there's any actual dislike of 'Plastic Paddy' here, it's just a bit of a rolleyes situation.

Last edited by ZX_SpectrumDisorder on 15 Apr 2012, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.