Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jan 2017, 8:17 pm

AldousH wrote:
No. I don't know if it's because I don't care for most people's opinions or because I want to commune with those who feel the same. I think this is a bad thing, that I have to work on. I've been having friends tell me that they're tired of me being so sad all the time.
It was the same way for me when I was depressed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm

Definitely try to hide it to the best of my abilities, I don't want to feel anxious/depressed or have obsessive thoughts. It's not something I get much support for personally, people don't tend to react well to it so it's not something that should be shared unless for good reason.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 6:38 pm

Hid my depression for years as a young teen, though I could never hide the terrible mood swings I had back then, in private. Eventually there came a time when it all spilled over into my otherwise carefully constructed charade; it branched out into other things and eventually landed me back in hospital.

Zygotic
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

caveman2 wrote:
Most of the time I don't talk about it, especially to NT types.

How do you know they are NT, if you don't talk to them about it? They could be hiding it just the same as you are?

Pancham
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2017, 5:01 pm

I tend to stim a lot (clapping) but have never been diagnosed with a mental illness that corresponds with stimming :[ and I am pretty self-conscious about it. My mother and sister always telling me to stop when they catch me doing it..

AquaLuna
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2017, 4:47 pm

I typically am open about it.

cherrybob25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

I can totally understand people who hide it but to people who r open about depression and mental illness well done to u cause that is a brave thing to do :) I personally like to hide my depression and not let anyone see it not that I am doing a good job of that loo but even with mental illness I like that hide it cause I'm scared in case I am criticized in every way possible .. I know they say that people should talk about it but how can u when it's hard enough as it is .. it's way easier to talk on Here rather than in person x

Lindsey95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

I hide it to a degree. People know about the depression/anxiety and I'm being treated for both, but I internalize a lot of the "scarier" symptoms out of fear of being sent to the hospital. Been there once, would ideally rather not get admitted again.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 8:15 am

I'm not sure how it would come up in conversation. I think that others just view me as lazy and boring. They don't know what sort of things I would really like to be doing and places I would like to visit. I dont think you can understand that complete emptiness and inability to get out of bed and get dressed and force yourself to see other people until you live through it yourself.

With a bit of support I think I could start to enjoy life again, but I feel like everyone I know is so wrapped up in their own lives that they are too busy to see just how hopelessly unhappy I am. If I killed myself a lot of people would come to my funeral and say, "I wish she'd told me" but really they never have taken the time to get close to me so what difference would it make.

A_noobish_noob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2017, 8:33 am

I tend to hide my depression, and autism. Only people I really trust knows.

snowmelt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2017, 8:46 am

Anyone that meets me can see I'm a dysfunctional loser, why reiterate their judgement

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2017, 11:24 am

I'm not sure I'm hiding it per se. I've just learned not to let it show, in the long run that helps me anyway. Expressing inner conflict externally means it's that much harder to recover and function later. Wearing the mask is beneficial for me. Even though it's tiring and I am introverted, socializing and being able to garner respect from others lifts my mood.