Motherhood obesity linked to children with Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

My mom was probably slightly overweight, like 26BMI kinda thing. She was older, though, I think about 35? They were linking that, but then they also linked older fathers to it, too, so wtfever, screw you linking stuff.

Interestingly, I was the first child, and my mom ate healthiest with me, almost no junkfood, she tried specifically to eat the healthiest and best with me. And for all that effort, I came out the odd one.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Nothing was cited as a "potential cause". The word "link" means a correlation.

While correlation does not mean causation, all of these studies' correlation results are hyped in the media to sound like causes. The layperson doesn't bother to hear "correlation." They jump right to thinking it's a cause. And honestly, in science, all significant correlations are hoped to be discovered as a true cause someday. If this weren't the case, why would correlations even be considered important?

It's not the researchers' fault that the media is irresponsible and the layperson is ignorant.

and

B'uhh....cause they're interesting, and the amalgamation of them might point to an as yet unconsidered EXOGENOUS variable?

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Correlation, or clutching at straws? It always seems like the next study refutes the findings of the previous ones. The latest I've seen is that lapband surgery can cure type 2 diabetes better than diet and exercise. The studies they site never seem to have much time or even thought applied to their supposed findings. The media just runs with the health advice du jour until the next news cycle hits- no common sense need apply.

Such is the nature of science- someone who wants stagnation of ideas should seek religion instead.

I totally-agree about the irresponsibility of the media, and how it's parroted by all who read/watch/hear it.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:25 am

Joe90 wrote:
If there's so many correlation and causes of Autism then why isn't Autism more common?

Because statistical prevalence isn't in any way shape or form to be equivocated with the subjectively determined "commonality" of known related variables,
and correlation and causation is the oldest fallacious equivocation in the book?

Even if Autism was one one millionth as common as it is statistically-estimated to be,
it still would be found to have higher incidence among many different demographics and environments as opposed to others.

That's the nature of almost everything there is: most things don't occur in a vacuum, rare or no.

to his Interest."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:57 pm

My mum weighed 115 lbs when she had me.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:36 pm

My mom's always been skinny and she was careful when she was pregnant. She tried to have kids 3 times, but her first child was a stillborn and my little brother was 3 months early.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

my mother was not obese. THis is such a stupid "study".... seriously, obesity is the only thing they feel free to blame absolutely everything on.... I actually saw a headline that insisted that obesity makes your IQ go down. That is so jeuvenile, I cannot believe that someone gets paid to write such drivel. What a load of ****

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 2:34 pm

fleurdelily wrote:
my mother was not obese. THis is such a stupid "study".... seriously, obesity is the only thing they feel free to blame absolutely everything on.... I actually saw a headline that insisted that obesity makes your IQ go down. That is so jeuvenile, I cannot believe that someone gets paid to write such drivel. What a load of ****

This likely gets into other variables, such as education-
people who are uneducated are very disproportionately obese, and also perform worse on IQ tests.

My favorite example of this is "obesity causes heart disease and diabetes!! !" (media and your average idiot)
Science to date: URM, NO. Those three things are CORRELATED because they can all be resultant of dietary factors.
But then, you've got the entire medical community pathologizing obesity, IE, a SIZE, absent of any actual disease process.
I dunno. /endrant

to his Interest."

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 4:37 pm

I think my mother was not overweight then.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
fleurdelily wrote:

This likely gets into other variables, such as education-
people who are uneducated are very disproportionately obese, and also perform worse on IQ tests.

My favorite example of this is "obesity causes heart disease and diabetes!! !" (media and your average idiot)
Science to date: URM, NO. Those three things are CORRELATED because they can all be resultant of dietary factors.
But then, you've got the entire medical community pathologizing obesity, IE, a SIZE, absent of any actual disease process.
I dunno. /endrant

I enjoy your rants. Science and logical reasoning make me happy.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm

Mom was young, healthy and petite when she got pregnant with me - around 110lbs. And pregnancy hormones were hard on her - she lost weight while pregnant.