Where to get a diagnosis for a young adult in Dallas Texas.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 4:58 pm

My brother has recently moved to the Dallas, TX area and his counselor thinks he might have AS. My mom agrees after having read up on AS after my diagnosis. The problem is that his counselor says that she is not qualified to give a diagnosis and the one person she knew that would be qualified (Dr. Candida Lutes, PhD) is not taking new patients. I am living out in the same area but was not diagnosed out here. I know that theoretically any psychiatrist or clinical psychologist can give a diagnosis, but finding one who is willing to evaluate an adult for the autism spectrum is difficult. He just started college and is struggling, and if he doses have AS, having an official diagnosis would allow him to get more help that he is currently getting.

Does anyone know of a person who could evaluate my brother, who works in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex?

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

My brother found Dr. Stuart N. Robinson, Ph.D, a psychologist who specializes in adults with ADD, Asperger's and other "learning differences" and he does neuro-cognitive testing for diagnosis.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:43 pm

I have been seeing Dr. Robinson as my therapist for a few weeks now, and I give my personal recommendation.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:01 pm

I have been searching (well was, other things have had me distracted lately) for the same thing. I want to find someone who deals with MANY ASD spectrum patients. I do not have confidence in any old psychologist..
I have a couple of leads I need to follow up on. But I am looking for someone for myself & I am no longer young..

Sincerely,
Matthew

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 9:49 pm

I will say that he has several other adult AS patients, and is well versed in the problems that I have as well as looking for multiple solutions, and if one thing is not working he goes and helps to try something else. It is generally a positive and laid back environment. It can be beyond difficult to find someone who works with adult ASD patients, but he does.