Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2012, 1:05 am

well there are 2 views of aspergers in the general public one that i like more than the other :)

1. that aspergers are mentally ret*d idiot that all need to go to a mental assilum (sorry about spelling)

2. the one i like the best, that all aspergers are super genius.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 8:24 am

The movie 'Mozart and the Whale' portrayed aspergers as mentally ret*d idiots and sociopaths that needed to be locked up in an insane asylum.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

Movie directors need to be put inside asylums :twisted:

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 4:09 pm

The actors themselves did a good snow job on autism.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

snow job?

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2012, 7:00 am

Are you refering the film 'Snow Cake' ? I didn't mind that movie.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 4:51 am

DaBeef2112 wrote:
I have been labeled as Shy (true), Rude (never on purpose but I supposed I might come accross that way), Selfish (see rude), Defensive (true), Stubborn/Inflexible (sometimes...)
Haha...I should use these examples to my mum and sister next time they try to label me with these! :D

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:50 am

Side effects from general public knowing asperger?

People tend to try and take advantage of you...when they think they know your weaknesses.

There is a gross miscalculation in how broad and wide the spectrum IS, by professionals, parents, Non-Autists, and a number of Autistics.

TheSunAlsoRises

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 6:55 am

The same effects as people knowing about bipolar disorder, really.

They just think you're crazy.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 8:05 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Before autism was well known I was called gay by the kids at school.

I thought I was the only one. While I've never had a girlfriend, I am as straight as an arrow yet I was constantly questioned about what it's like being gay and mercilessly teased about it. I never understood where that came from although when someone asked if I was straight (I assumed they meant body posture) my answer obviously was "not quite". That didn't help my cause!

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 8:17 am

Keyman wrote:
Does public knowledge of characteristics that makes it easier to spot aspergers and knowledge of how persons aspergers works have the side effect that it is or will be used to tailored exploitation of this or autism etc.. groups?
Considering how this group is treated in general, I start to wonder if there could be some serious side effects from the general public having knowledge of this?
Preconceived notions/judgement of how a person is just because they're and Aspergian can be formed; some people would treat Aspergians differently to how they would treat an NT, or they could begin to question or doubt someone who does not fit their 'textbook definition' of a person with AS.

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2012, 8:19 am

You can blame many of the social views of Aspergers on the people who scream discrimination whenever a person who happens to have autism gets punished the same way as everyone else.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

BreezeGod wrote:
You can blame many of the social views of Aspergers on the people who scream discrimination whenever a person who happens to have autism gets punished the same way as everyone else.
Definitely!...what you said fits under the proverbial umbrella of what I said about preconceived notions of AS affecting the way one is treated.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

BreezeGod wrote:

I mean, one could say, you can can blame many of the social views of Aspergers on the people who scream bullying whenever a person who happens to have Autism gets teased the same way as everyone else.

I could be biased BUT the articles i have read concerning Autistic children, Autistic teens, and Autistic adults tend to ....reveal THAT their social impairments figure heavily into discrimination/ unfair treatment which will often-times result in unjust punishment.

TheSunAlsoRises