Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2012, 10:16 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
It's only when something has to be done that I will do it.

This.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2012, 10:05 am

Sora wrote:
I'm petty sure it's because of executive dysfunction that it goes like this for me

I see dirty dishes ->

I want to wash them ->

Yes. This.
The next step for me is usually a buildup of guilt and horror and all sorts of self-loathing for not doing dishes, but still no dishes.

I started taking Ritalin recently to try to combat some of the executive issues, but so far it hasn't made me do any dishes. I see the issues in a clearer light, but no change in behaviour. Except I'm much less of a grump in the morning.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 10:15 am

DVCal wrote:
Does autism cause "laziness" for anyone else? Things like washing dishes, I always let them pile in the sink for two or three days before I wash them. I see them every day, and know they need to be washed, but just can't bring my self to do it. Same with stuff like vacuuming the house and mowing the lawn, I know it needs to be done, but I just can't bring my self to do it on a timely basis. I rather lay in bed, read a book, watch TV, or surf the web.

That sounds like me.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 10:39 am

This is so me! My parents hate it!! !! !

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Apr 2012, 11:00 am

I probably qualify as lazy. But I'm not depressed. I may have executive dysfunction, and I get so absorbed into interests that the chores can get in my way. But let me analyze some things.

mowing the grass
I used to like mowing the grass. At home I helped Dad with it. Then as soon as I got married I bought a Sears riding lawn mower for my 2 acre lawn. The only thing I disliked was sweating---I can't stand sweat getting in my eyes and stuff. My wife and I eventually decided to get a larger lawn mower, so we bought a John Deere (we gave the Sears mower to a neighbor in need). The John Deere worked fine for awhile, but the mowing engagement thing kept turning off. At first it happened maybe once or twice during a mowing. But then, it got worse. I've had in and out of the John Deere dealership several times, and it never gets fixed. It now disengages about once every minute or two. We paid over $5000 for that mower and it's frustrating. So...I dreaded mowing. I hired some boys that worked for my in-laws to mow the grass. But then they got old enough to think about college, so I bought another John Deere---bigger deck, bigger engine. I should mention that I mowed the grass regularly up until the time I had back surgery and had a pulmonary embolism due to a blood clot in my leg. As soon as I got the new mower, a professional lawn care person that was working for a neighbor was looking for work. I thought, hmmm, why not? I hate sweating, so I hired him. After my back problems, this could be nice. He has mowed the lawn ever since. And the new John Deere has set in the barn for three years with only 10 hours of mowing time on it. And the old John Deere still sets with a faulty button. Lazy? I don't know. I tried to mow.

washing dishes
My wife and I have a dishwasher. But still, one has to unload and load the dishwasher. I don't like to do this. The reason? I have to take the dishes out in a certain order and put them in in a certain way and order. My wife will usually help and it frustrates me the way she does it. If I say anything, it may upset her. So I have tended to the laundry department instead. I do all the washing of our clothes, folding, and hanging them up. I figure that is a good trade off. To do laundry I have to go down into the basement, and then take the clothes to the second floor---a lot of stairs. She has bad ankles, so this works out well.

If I do typical guy work, my back aches horribly. I used to be able to do these things, but my back is bad now. I often hire things done that require a lot of physical stress.

When I get home from work, I often don't feel like doing anything else but resting an engaging in things I want to, such as interests. I keep the laundry up. But I want my free time. Call it lazy or whatever, but that's the way it is.