Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 9:49 am

This is what first got me thinking about a Romney/Paul ticket:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/ ... ed-romney/

At the very least, he's definitely getting an importany cabinet position in a possible Romney administration, that's for sure. Or he's doing it all in order to benefit his son, which makes sense considering how much the Pauls enjoy nepotism.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:10 am

I heard Ron Paul was thinking about taking the Secretary of Treasury spot.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

snapcap wrote:
I heard Ron Paul was thinking about taking the Secretary of Treasury spot.

Makes sense, but making RP secretary of treasury does not get Romney any votes. It's illegal to name cabinet members before a presidential election. RP as VP would garner more votes than anyone, aside from maybe Huckabee. He was the candidate with the most passionate support, and he would pull young voters and anti-war/pro-legalization democrats away from Obama. The fact that he is a well-known house member from the South balances the ticket nicely as well.

Although any votes a VP candidate may garner is probably minimal, RP has a rare ability to take votes away from the democratic base. A democrat can't win nationally without his or her base voting.... And there are a lot of Ron Paul supporters who used to be democrats.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

Unless Romney does a complete 180 on foreign policy then Ron and Rand wouldn't accept.

Romney is a neocon, just look at his staffers and advisers. He wouldn't offer.

Ron not attacking Mitt extensively really doesn't mean much. Mitt is a lot smarter than some of his other GOP adversaries and didn't attack Ron Paul or his supporters like Gingrich, Santorum, Cain, and Bachmann did. They just weren't competing for the same voters.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

I disagree that RP wouldn't accept. He's spent decades running as a protest candidate, so I think he would welcome the opportunity to advance his causes through a Romney/Paul ticket. Dennis Kuchinich and Ron Paul agree on very little too, but RP still said he would've considered Kuchinich as a running mate in 2008. Now THAT would've been interesting...

Romney has some smart people running his campaign, the occasional gaffes aside, so I reckon this idea of a potential alliance was tossed around in Romney HQ. It would be a brilliant move on their part. The Pauls and their ilk are the future of the Republican party.

If it won't be a Paul, it will probably be someone safe like Mitch Daniels, which won't make for very entertaining politics. Palin was a train wreck, but that election was the most fascinating one that I've ever followed.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:04 pm

I don't think RP would work as closely as a VP to Romney, as they have big differences in ideology, and RP caving in might mess up his son's chances later down the road for a possible run.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:09 pm

Ron has had plenty of opportunities to sell out for 'mainstream' recognition. He could of had a speaking spot at the RNC in 2008 if he endorsed John McCain but he didn't.

How would he be advancing his cause when Romney runs contrary to it?

I think your reasoning is solid and I wish Romney was anti-war and anti-big government but he isn't. You correctly recognize that the GOP cannot win without Ron Paul supporters and unfortunately for them they aren't getting them. NOBP.

Mitt will pick somebody with 'Tea Party' credentials and hope it appeals to Ron Paul supporters. Rubio seems to fit the bill on that too, not going to attract many Paul supporters tho.

Last edited by Jacoby on 19 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

I wonder if Rush is actually going to move out of the country this time.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:21 pm

This is now a Ron Paul thread.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 9:37 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Ron has had plenty of opportunities to sell out for 'mainstream' recognition. He could of had a speaking spot at the RNC in 2008 if he endorsed John McCain but he didn't.

How would he be advancing his cause when Romney runs contrary to it?

I think your reasoning is solid and I wish Romney was anti-war and anti-big government but he isn't. You correctly recognize that the GOP cannot win without Ron Paul supporters and unfortunately for them they aren't getting them. NOBP.

Mitt will pick somebody with 'Tea Party' credentials and hope it appeals to Ron Paul supporters. Rubio seems to fit the bill on that too, not going to attract many Paul supporters tho.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that RP would somehow be "selling out" if he accepted the VP slot... I meant that if he took it, he would have a platform to reach more people with his solutions and ideas. That's what RP really cares about- it's because of his influence that people are talking about a gold standard in the 21st century. It's why he is still in the race- he wants to have a say in the official republican platform at the convention. It's admirable, really, the way he shares his passions, and he would have the most visible role of his lifetime as a VP candidate on a major party ticket. I think he would jump at the chance, not because he and Willard are idealogical equals, but because it would allow him to advocate his Objectivist view of government to a wider audience.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
This is now a Ron Paul thread.

Every conversation on the internet eventually includes Ron Paul...

I'm no fan of his, but he's a fascinating person. I'm a bit of a politics buff, and watching him change the course of the GOP has been interesting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 10:07 pm

snapcap wrote:

We can only hope.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:55 pm

Fred Karger would be an amusing choice.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

I'm sorry... Who he?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
snapcap wrote:

We can only hope.

Simply amazing the butthurt Limbaugh causes the left......
Anyhoo, I wonder if Santorum is under consideration for Romney's VP.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

I'm sorry... Who he?

Karger is the first openly gay man to seek the nomination of the major parties for president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Karger