Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2012, 2:51 am

Anyone else?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 5:21 am

Only with winter. I feel much happier when summer is coming, which is why I love spring so much.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 6:35 am

I don't know why but, when it snows I'm generally very happy. I used to enjoy rain when I was younger but, not so much now. I generally find it unconfortable when the temp goes past 80 degrees F but, I've worked in some very hot conditions before.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 8:41 am

I read last week that even 15 minutes of sunlight each day can help your body fight your symptoms. I bought an artificial SAD light because sometimes we have no sunlight for days on end even during summer. Like Rakshasa72 ^^ I find snow during the winter pleasing to my brain.

I also dislike heat very much so have never been one for lying or walking in full sun.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 9:56 am

I think i get it in winter, i'm thinking of getting at SAD light for next winter.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

Summer SAD. I can't stand sun, heat, brightness, and feel much better when it's cloudy and rainy.

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2012, 7:42 am

PTSmorrow wrote:
Summer SAD. I can't stand sun, heat, brightness, and feel much better when it's cloudy and rainy.

I feel the same way, it really is a dreaded nightmare and not in the good way

CantSwitchOff
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2012, 8:18 am

I get it most winters. I think for me it's more connected to my sleeping pattern (I haven't fallen asleep before 5am in about 5-6 years) and only getting an hour (if that!) of daylight in the winter months. When that's happening I start getting quite depressed about 'wasting my life' (even if I'm achieving plenty in those months) and feeling like I'm separated and alienated from the 'normal world'.

As soon as the summer comes and I get a bit more daylight in my life I seem to just come out of it within a couple of weeks, even if my routine's exactly the same.

LongLostSelf
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2012, 8:31 am

I hate summer. hot sticky , bright and uncomfortable and everyone says "what you doing inside on a day like this" dont like t-shirt weather, the less clothes i have on the more vunerable i feel. i wear hoodies on hot days which actually draws more attention to me. Feels like everyone is happy and living life to the full and im missing something. Im getting very panicky as the summer draws closer

Winter i love! cold grey days, frosty crisp days. heavy snow, Christmas, big coats, hats and scarfs , no guilt about sitting in the house, awesome:)

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

Yes, but I actually like winter and hate summer even tho my symptoms would suggest otherwise. I suffer more from a lack of energy than depression tho. On a rainy day after a week of sun, I feel like a toy in an Energizer commercial grinding to a halt from dead batteries. It also affects my sleeping pattern, on cloudy days, I can't stop myself from sleeping most of the day.

Now get this, I am among the aspies who have a severe light sensitivity. I can't handle regular lighting. So lightboxes, sitting outside in the sun, all of that would be torture. As far as I know there are no other treatments, so I am stuck with the symptoms.

I did hear of new device shaped like an mp3 player that shines light into the ears. I hope it isn't too expensive, that might actually work.

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2012, 6:06 am

LongLostSelf wrote:
I hate summer. hot sticky , bright and uncomfortable and everyone says "what you doing inside on a day like this" dont like t-shirt weather, the less clothes i have on the more vunerable i feel. i wear hoodies on hot days which actually draws more attention to me. Feels like everyone is happy and living life to the full and im missing something. Im getting very panicky as the summer draws closer

Winter i love! cold grey days, frosty crisp days. heavy snow, Christmas, big coats, hats and scarfs , no guilt about sitting in the house, awesome:)

I certainly feel the same way.
About the clothes, a little trick I discovered is that it helps if I wear a rash guard snug fit shirt under my clothes, the sweat evaporates quickly from it and the snug fit makes me feel very comfortable, less vulnerable. And I can wear lose clothes over it and since it is like a second skin it doesn't stand out greatly, also this way I can wear at times shirts with short sleeves since the rash guard shirt goes all the way to my wrists.
Although I still wear hoodies and stuff. This one day I went out with little clothes on me because I was already feeling less vulnerable from the company I had, needless to say when I found my self alone at the supermarket I had a freak out of a sensory overload, I was on my toes waiting to burst into a million particles... It was horridly awful.

HairlessAlbinoCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2012, 6:12 am

metaldanielle wrote:
Yes, but I actually like winter and hate summer even tho my symptoms would suggest otherwise. I suffer more from a lack of energy than depression tho. On a rainy day after a week of sun, I feel like a toy in an Energizer commercial grinding to a halt from dead batteries. It also affects my sleeping pattern, on cloudy days, I can't stop myself from sleeping most of the day.

Now get this, I am among the aspies who have a severe light sensitivity. I can't handle regular lighting. So lightboxes, sitting outside in the sun, all of that would be torture. As far as I know there are no other treatments, so I am stuck with the symptoms.

I did hear of new device shaped like an mp3 player that shines light into the ears. I hope it isn't too expensive, that might actually work.

My SAD happens at summer time so light treatment would be counter productive actually. About your light sensitivity, you might have Scotopic Sensitivity or Irlen Syndrome, I do but there are no Irlen clinics where I live so I just wear some lens that go darker upon strong light exposure

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 8:15 am

I get it in the summer I hate the stinking hot weather the endless mugginess I feel I don't have any energy and I feel lethargic.
Winter is so much better I can go for my long walks and I feel so energetic.
I wish it will hurry up and come.