What social behaviors change between 14 and 17 (NT's)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

I would say that at 12, a person would not sit directly next to or touch a stranger.
They may possibly stare or look directly in their eyes, but they won't talk.
They will start to understand self-respect, that people can't take advantage of you.
They may also begin to ignore and stay away from bullies.
They also will get somewhat personal in a conversation very easily.
They probably do not understand the idea of responsibility and will just take orders from their parents.

At 14, they become very sullen and angsty.
They will feel a bit self-conscious to go out without people (ESPECIALLY women) , but they will go out a lot more, and try to become part of the community. They will also be polite to people they have to deal with but dislike.
They will understand the idea of "honor" and they won't be selfish.
They will also understand responsibility. Anyone feels like a little kid being nagged by their parents.
Be an adult and take care of stuff yourself.
They will also develop real interests aside from their childhood hobbies. These will go into their adulthood as occupations.

So what do you think changes between 14 and 17?
Obviously not everybody acts the same way, but a person would have this understanding at these respective ages.
Ex:I'm 15, but I act 12 or 13 because of my Aspergers Syndrome. People actually think I get it, because everyone is SUPPOSED to get it. But I don't.
Though that's besides the point.

Anyways, I repeat the question.

How do people's emotions mature between 14 and 17?

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

I'll take a stab at this...

at 15, they will start to make friends with the opposite sex.
Friendships will be with both sexes. If one is heterosexual, then a boy's interests in girls will lean more towards the romantic -- although he will retain girl "friends" who will help advise him in his romantic pursuits. Girls will do the same sort of thing with boys. Maybe, at 15, some kids will realize that they are interested the same gender, but this will be a much smaller percentage.

at 15, many will not realize the importance of school and getting good grades. They will, instead, understand the importance of "fitting in" and having others like them. Some will purposely try to NOT be part of the group -- liking the concept, instead, of being on the fringe. The line of demarcation between types of clicks in high school becomes stronger -- between the geeks, the student body presidencies, the straight A students, the artsy-types, the musicians, and the jocks. Some will be painfully shy, while others will be obnoxiously loud and have a strong need to be the center of attention.

at 16, they will begin to establish TRUE friendships, as opposed to acquaintances or friendships of convenience.

at 16, many will begin to understand the need for good graides, and some will actually enjoy school if provided with good teachers. At 16, there will be the beginnings of maturity in observation, i.e. the loudmouth popular kids will start to look kind of stupid. The good kids will begin to appreciate other good kids, maybe because they are particularly sharp in one or more areas. The line between the jerks and the not-jerks will become stronger. The inclination to find a boyfriend or girlfriend will possibly become stronger for some.

At 17, some will find a new-found maturity. Some will begin to be truly comfortable in their own skin. Some will make LASTING friendships, with people that they agree with socially and politically. At this stage, one can appreciate the loud, jovial types AND the quiet types. The jocks and popular kids begin to look more ridiculous than ever. Grades can take on incredible importance, as the shift from high school to independence in college takes on greater significance. At 17, you finally have PERSPECTIVE. You can begin to see things as they are, rather than as you THINK they are.

At age 17, things can start to become good for many people who previously were the quiet, geeky, types lacking in self-esteem. People who were previously uncomfortable with the opposite sex may now feel just fine with them. Senior year can be a really great year, where people can find their group and enjoy their company moreso than ever before.

15, for an Aspie, can be somewhat uncomfortable -- because everybody else is maturing at a faster rate than you are. I know, because my son is 15 too. He is also more like 12 or 13 years of age.

From what I've heard, though -- it gets better. Right now is kind of weird because at 15, the NT population is maturing much more quickly than the Aspie population. But eventually, in college, the maturity level in the aspie population catches up to the NT population, and you are much more on a level playing field.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
at 16, they will begin to establish TRUE friendships, as opposed to acquaintances or friendships of convenience.

I think most people have "true" friendships long before they reach 16. Perhaps they won't confide in each other on a deep emotional level, but most people develop strong friendships based on enjoying and liking each other well before that age.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

I guess it may be caused by overall changes that occur in the brain during adolescence, especially development of the temporal lobe and frontal lobe.
http://www.icn.ucl.ac.uk/sblakemore/SJ_papers/BlaCho_DS_05.pdf
http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/08/16/cercor.bhq137.full
I could not find better articles, I'm sorry.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

Lol , I saw this on Yahoo Answers..

'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2012, 1:02 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:

What, the thing I wrote? I didn' t look it up on YA, I used what I learnt a few years ago...

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 3:35 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:

Haha yeah, thats me.
I posted it in like 5 sections.
Which one did you see?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 12:19 am

I copy pasted the question with the word yahoo added to the end. Went to your profile. I saw you had the best answer for this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 258AAXOP2a

:lol: :lol:

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 3:10 pm

I haven't noticed much change in social behaviours between 14 and 17. Maybe some people get a little less cliquish but that's it.

I am 17 but act more like I am 11 socially.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic