Grebels wrote:
Church of England

Well, they were probably atheists anyway. :wink:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

Grebels wrote:
Is it really all bigotry and hatred in the UK.

There are exceptions and to be honest what you describe sounds more like a publicity stunt than the norm.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

It was due to a liberal director of ordinands who became a bishop. That has to say something. I didn't see it as a publicity stunt myself.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:03 am

The article said that a lot of the rise of atheism was in response to views regarding LGBT issues and abortion.

While there is a clear difference between an atheist and an anti-theist (and I have nothing against either), it seems like the anti-theists only go after Christians, not all theists.

I don't understand how they call the U.S. homophobic because same-sex marriage is only legal in a few states, but in the Muslim world, homosexuality carries lengthy prison sentences, if not the death penalty. Yet people look the other way in regards to Islam. They complain about the Christians being sexist for being anti-abortion, but in the Islamic world, women can be forbidden to drive a car or beaten by the religious police because they are out in public without a male relative. Again, the anti-theists look the other way.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
...people look the other way in regards to Islam. They complain about the Christians being sexist for being anti-abortion, but in the Islamic world, women can be forbidden to drive a car or beaten by the religious police because they are out in public without a male relative. Again, the anti-theists look the other way.

On the contrary, I think you'll find that most "anti-theists" consider both religions oppressive to human rights, Islam more so than Christianity.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
...people look the other way in regards to Islam. They complain about the Christians being sexist for being anti-abortion, but in the Islamic world, women can be forbidden to drive a car or beaten by the religious police because they are out in public without a male relative. Again, the anti-theists look the other way.

On the contrary, I think you'll find that most "anti-theists" consider both religions oppressive to human rights, Islam more so than Christianity.

My church community only cares about are human rights as a whole as long as we are free to practice are faith the world can do what ever it wants.

But what do anti-theists think of Judaism Mormons ect?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:56 pm

I'm willing to bet the longer this recession lasts, the more likely people will start to turn back to belief.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

A lot of people mistrust or hate atheists because they think they have no morals or beliefs. They take it as a personal insult. Church officials do little to dissuade them from this mindset

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

Vigilans wrote:
A lot of people mistrust or hate atheists because they think they have no morals or beliefs. They take it as a personal insult. Church officials do little to dissuade them from this mindset

True and what a shame really atheists/non theists make great teachers and scientists.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm

Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

True and what a shame really atheists/non theists make great teachers and scientists.

The best teachers are the people that don't let you know where they stand :wink:

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

The best teachers are the people that don't let you know where they stand :wink:

:lol:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Exactly, and an atheist teacher being open about his or her atheism is a very unlikely scenario for a number of reasons. On the other hand few Christians make their faith a secret, or demand education and religion be integrated

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

Vigilans wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Exactly, and an atheist teacher being open about his or her atheism is a very unlikely scenario for a number of reasons. On the other hand few Christians make their faith a secret, or demand education and religion be integrated

I keep my faith a secret because not everyone believes what I do and I am okay with that the only time I really get into talking about my faith is with family and church family.

A atheist was my high school math teacher the only reason I knew this was because he told me he was and we became very good friends.