People who like maths here? Answer me this?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

NateRiver wrote:
Physics is beautiful, ever so intriguing. Thanks for the book by the way. I also find it hard to understand questions sometimes and what they're trying to tell me e.t.c Any help on that? Btw, I love physics because it's lovely to know everything you see has a meaning, reasoning, and logic to it. It's truly remarkable and good answer any philosophical inquiry us human beings have had for centuries.

I'm also pretty good at physics. I got the highest mark in my class. We have these things called sets so the highest is set 1 then set 2. We have a terrible physics teacher;however I got at least a B in physics which was great considering most of the class failed. So, yeah^-^" I fail maths though.. I don't know why :/

I don't see why you'd like and be good at physics if you're bad at math and don't like it. Physics basically IS math, and you can't do physics without a pretty solid grasp of most general mathematical concepts. The only difference is that in physics you're doing, say, integration to determine something tangible, such as the velocity function of a particle. In pure math, you're doing the same integration but just to find a numerical answer which may or may not have any additional meaning. People who go into physics probably use just as much, if not more, math as mathematicians do.

I think you may be over complicating or confusing yourself with math, a lot of people tend to do that.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 1:10 am

NateRiver wrote:
I also mix up variables in data for example:(DONT ANSWER THIS QUESTION)

One day, each driver entering a car park paid exactly £1:50
Here is what was put into the machine that day:
. Number of 1 pound coins: 136
. Number of 50 p coins: 208

What was the percentage of drivers who paid with three 50p coins?
I thought the 1 pound coins were drivers because when you did 208- 136= 72 you got the amount of drivers right? I didn't see the link in dividing it by 3.

Since I think you don't want an answer, I won't provide a complete solution, but this is how I would approach this one.

You know 3 things: the number of 1 pound coins, the number of 50p coins, and the ratio of money paid per driver. Let's give the numbers names: m (standing for money) for the amount of money per driver, b (standing for big coin) for the number of 1 pound coins, s (standing for small coin) for the number of 50p coins.

Since it asks for a percentage of drivers, let's give the total number of drivers a name, d. We don't know d, but we can tell that d*m = total money made that day. If we take 1*b + (1/2)*s, then we get the total money made that day.

Since there are only two ways to pay 1.50 using 1 pound and 50p coins, we can then figure out how many used only 50p coins, and calculate a percentage from that.

Quote:
I also need pushes in where people are getting at in problem. For example my dad asked me factors of this number and he said there were two more, I didn't know he meant the number itself and 1. There was this mental maths question asking whats the 100th odd number. I thought of it as what is the odd number nearest to 100 so I said 99 then I got confused when someone said it was 199.

I wouldn't call that needing 'pushes', I'd call that needing a clear explanation of what they're looking for. The factors not just being the prime factors would have thrown me off, and I might have been able to figure out the 100th odd number, but I would have had to think about what it meant and whether it made sense at all.

Quote:
Mental maths infuriates me.

If there's a particular type (or example) of mental math that you need explained, I could try to do that.

If there's a certain kind of math you can only do on paper, but not in your head, then do it on paper. There is always something so complicated that it has to be written down, for everybody. Some people reach that point quicker than others.

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2012, 2:07 am

Rascal77s wrote:
NateRiver wrote:

Should I try to look into getting a cognitive assessment to see my problem? I love trigonometry though. I can see the numbers and the shape which makes perfect sense =D I hate Algebra e_e God, KILL ALGEBRA WITH FIRE.

Edit:

Can anyone help me with my problem aswell? Or meh.. Please :cry:

There once was a lad named Nate River,
to whom math was like eating liver.
He didn't get good,
Like he knew he should,
so at 60 he was crying a river.

Well Nate I see it like this... If you're not good at it you can either get better or spend the next 40 years writing posts crying about how math has held you back in life.

LOL! I laughed. Yeah, I'm trying my best to get better. I'm going to use the method hello kitty suggested and just study in general I guess^_^

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2012, 2:08 am

Declension wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
Math for math's sake is generally boring, math for practical applications is generally interesting.

Do you live in Opposite World or something? :)

Maths can be quite enjoyable actually. Have you heard of Vedic maths?

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2012, 2:21 am

Ancalagon wrote:
NateRiver wrote:
I also mix up variables in data for example:(DONT ANSWER THIS QUESTION)

One day, each driver entering a car park paid exactly £1:50
Here is what was put into the machine that day:
. Number of 1 pound coins: 136
. Number of 50 p coins: 208

What was the percentage of drivers who paid with three 50p coins?
I thought the 1 pound coins were drivers because when you did 208- 136= 72 you got the amount of drivers right? I didn't see the link in dividing it by 3.

Since I think you don't want an answer, I won't provide a complete solution, but this is how I would approach this one.

You know 3 things: the number of 1 pound coins, the number of 50p coins, and the ratio of money paid per driver. Let's give the numbers names: m (standing for money) for the amount of money per driver, b (standing for big coin) for the number of 1 pound coins, s (standing for small coin) for the number of 50p coins.

Since it asks for a percentage of drivers, let's give the total number of drivers a name, d. We don't know d, but we can tell that d*m = total money made that day. If we take 1*b + (1/2)*s, then we get the total money made that day.

Since there are only two ways to pay 1.50 using 1 pound and 50p coins, we can then figure out how many used only 50p coins, and calculate a percentage from that.

Quote:
I also need pushes in where people are getting at in problem. For example my dad asked me factors of this number and he said there were two more, I didn't know he meant the number itself and 1. There was this mental maths question asking whats the 100th odd number. I thought of it as what is the odd number nearest to 100 so I said 99 then I got confused when someone said it was 199.

I wouldn't call that needing 'pushes', I'd call that needing a clear explanation of what they're looking for. The factors not just being the prime factors would have thrown me off, and I might have been able to figure out the 100th odd number, but I would have had to think about what it meant and whether it made sense at all.

Quote:
Mental maths infuriates me.

If there's a particular type (or example) of mental math that you need explained, I could try to do that.

If there's a certain kind of math you can only do on paper, but not in your head, then do it on paper. There is always something so complicated that it has to be written down, for everybody. Some people reach that point quicker than others.

I think I didn't see the link because I have thing of only focusing on one thing at a time. So this driver thing applied to everything.. I suck at multi-task xD Well, the thing with mental maths the words confuse me and I tend to zone out. I'm fine when they recite numbers though.. so xD It's not really any explanations understanding maths. I have problems understanding questions. I also dont bother sometimes because my confidence gets lowered by people who do understand maths.