Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

petrap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

I am the mother of 11 years old Aspie from Slovenia.
Is anybody from here or Croatia?

regards,

Petra

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

Ja sam iz Hrvatske :)

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2012, 2:58 am

Nisam hrvat ni slovenac ali volim oboje jezike

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

AspieSharaf wrote:

Nisam hrvat ni slovenac ali volim obA jezikA ("jezik" is a masculine noun here in the accusative and "oba" refers to that noun so it shares the same case) :)

Sorry, it is a professional deformation. 8O

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2012, 2:57 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
AspieSharaf wrote:

Nisam hrvat ni slovenac ali volim obA jezikA ("jezik" is a masculine noun here in the accusative and "oba" refers to that noun so it shares the same case) :)

Ok thanks for spending time on my grammar. But you got me confused. I looked in my grammarbooks from the university and the plural declination for male nouns in akk. is (e) e.g. Institut za strane jezike.
Or: Volim oboje gradove. Or this one: Maimun puca na vojnike sa ak47!
These are all akkusative sentences and the plural masculine noun takes (e)

Where as it is in genetive that it takes (a) e.g.: Dosta mi je oba jezika!

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

AspieSharaf wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:
AspieSharaf wrote:

Ok thanks for spending time on my grammar. But you got me confused. I looked in my grammarbooks from the university and the plural declination for male nouns in akk. is (e) e.g. Institut za strane jezike.

That is correct, yes :) preposition "za" is usually followed by some noun or an adjective or pronoun in accusative.

AspieSharaf wrote:
Or: Volim oboje gradove.

Hmm no :) perhaps your grammar book made a typo.

We actually either say "oba jezikA" or "oba gradA" like you said in your example beneath - Dosta mi je oba jezika!

AspieSharaf wrote:
Or this one: Maimun puca na vojnike sa ak47!
These are all akkusative sentences and the plural masculine noun takes (e)

Where as it is in genetive that it takes (a) e.g.: Dosta mi je oba jezika!

These are all correct and that makes me think your grammar book made a mistake. I am a native speaker and I can guarantee you that I have never seen neither in written nor spoken Croatian "oboje jezike". It is always "oba jezika"

Check out this sentence from one page on logopedy:

Djeca ne moraju biti podjednako vješta u oba jezika ili više jezika. Again accusative here.
http://www.adiva.hr/odabir-izmedju-dva- ... olini.aspx

Random google search proves the same thing:
http://www.google.hr/search?q=oba+dva+j ... 66&bih=638

Or here:

Oba jezika koja predajem volim podjednako.
http://www.blog.hr/print/id/1625416151/ ... icima.html

Wiktionary entry also doesn't have listed "oboje" as accusative plural:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oba#Serbo-Croatian

n oba
g obaju
d obama
a oba
v oba
l obama
i obama

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:12 am

I think I know why your grammar book made a mistake - "oba" means "two" and therefore it already implies some sort of plural.

That is a remnant of so called "dual system" or "dvojina" which is still present in Slovenian but Serbo-Croatian lost it almost completely except in such isolated cases such as this one. It can also be seen in "dva" "dvoje" "dvije" etc.

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 3:07 am

Yes... you are right :) . And my grammar book is also right. I couldn't find any sentences in it with "oboje jezike" but I used it as a overlook of the substantiv declenation. I'm the one who made a mistake.
And your evidence from the text corpus is hard to deny
It is, as I see it, the word "oba, obe obeje" which changes the word jezike into jezika. And maybe it is beaucuse of the old dual thing as you say, I think so

Conclusion: This is one of the things in your language which makes it pretty hard to learn. I never reached further than somewhere between B1-B2.
Now I am studying bulgarian, I must tell you it is really easy to learn bulgarian when your know both russian and serbocroatian.
It is my goal to reach B1 in bulgarian before christmas. I would also want to learn slovene, I could of course do that after the bulgarian thing. Macedonian is also interessting. The only problem is that the material on english (languagecourses) is as far as I know limited to 1 book only. I could of course use serbocroatian material, but I think that would mess up my autistic-brain.

Actually One of my other AS interest is music from ex-Jugo. Here is a list of the bands/persons which I like the most:
Azra
Toma Zdravkovic
Halid Beslic
Himzo Polovina
Meho Puzic
Lepa Brena
Goza Bozinovska
Miso Kovac
Tomislav Ivcic
Safet Isovic
Viki
Braca Bajic
Misko Zivanovic

I have a feeling that I forgot some... Also notice that I really have a broad taste of music from your culture

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 8:12 am

LOL yes I would take from that list only Azra and some of Lepa Brena :)

As far as languages are concerned I agree that this isn't neither the easiest, nor the most logical nor the most regular of languages, in fact I am surprised anyone is willing to learn it since it is used in such little (geographical) area. We have too many vocal changes, too many nominal patterns, irregularities so I am not surprised you find it difficult. If you ever decide to return to studying Serbo-Croatian and need help let me know.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 8:29 am

But if you haven't already heard of it, I would recommend Rokeri s Moravu: :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kksJlg5uTxc&feature=related[/youtube]

Balašević:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn9NDW5QzPk[/youtube]

Daleka Obala:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNITG_bHUk[/youtube]

Oliver Dragojević:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRQJV6vwUU[/youtube]

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 8:33 am

Booyakasha wrote:

As far as languages are concerned I agree that this isn't neither the easiest, nor the most logical nor the most regular of languages, in fact I am surprised anyone is willing to learn it since it is used in such little (geographical) area. We have too many vocal changes, too many nominal patterns, irregularities so I am not surprised you find it difficult. If you ever decide to return to studying Serbo-Croatian and need help let me know.

Thx I will remember that. I will say this to you. When ever you have problems in explaining to people how wierd aspergers can be/behave, then just refer to me (strange obsession with special languages and a very curious taste for your music) I nisam hrvat nego viking iz hladne Danske!

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 8:50 am

Thx for the music recommendations. I actually have many cd´s with Balasevic, but I dont listen to him anymore. But yes he is good.
I like that one by the name Oliver.. The men in the cave, Tonka? is also good music. I didn't like Rokeri s Moravu that much though.

Now it is your turn. Plz listen to this one.. Its one of my favorites
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdrhkzgWUcs[/youtube]

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 9:21 am

AspieSharaf wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

Thx I will remember that. I will say this to you. When ever you have problems in explaining to people how wierd aspergers can be/behave, then just refer to me (strange obsession with special languages and a very curious taste for your music) I nisam hrvat nego viking iz hladne Danske!

Haha will do :) well I'm glad you think that SerboCroatian is special. Speaking of special languages - I am lately completely obsessed with Finnish (and Finland for that matter). Apart from migrating there I would love to be able to read Kalevala in original. My latest special interest.

Last edited by Booyakasha on 11 Jul 2012, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 9:26 am

AspieSharaf wrote:
Thx for the music recommendations. I actually have many cd´s with Balasevic, but I dont listen to him anymore. But yes he is good.
I like that one by the name Oliver.. The men in the cave, Tonka? is also good music. I didn't like Rokeri s Moravu that much though.

Well that is nice :) If you like "sevdalinke" then Bijelo dugme" might be to your liking:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmQdNMAI5k&feature=related[/youtube]

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

Uh no boze moj! I cannot stand Bijelo dugme or for that sake Riblja corba or similary music. But my friend in Odense (Denmark) likes that music a lot. She really dont listen so much to mine, maybe a bit Haris Dzinovic.

So you like the romanic languages.. I only know a little romanian. My son is learning some spanish though.
I am interested aswell in the ural-altaic languages. I am on A2 in turkish. I found this info about finnish, hungarian and turkish one day on the net.

I thougt it was very interesting. The first colum is hungarian, and then some similarities with either turkish or finnish

2) Low transparency. You will have to learn by heart most Hungarian words (this problem is alleviated in varying degrees if you already know another Uralic or Altaic language. As mentioned previously, most linguists consider Hungarian an Uralic language that contains many Turkic loanwords.) For example:
ad- = give || anta- (Finnish)
alma = apple || elma (Turkish)
én = I || minä (Finnish) || ben (Turkish)
fa = tree || puu (Finnish)
három = three || kolme (Finnish)
két, kettõ = two || kaksi (Finnish) || kat = layer (Turkish)
hal = fish || kala (Finnish)
jég = ice || jää (Finnish)
kék = blue || gök = sky (Turkish)
mi = what || mikä (Finnish) || -mi = (interrogative particle) (Turkish)
négy = four || neljä (Finnish)
név = name || nimi (Finnish)
szökik = jump || sek- (Turkish)
tyúk = hen || tavuk (Turkish)
tud- = know || tuntea- (Finnish) || tanI- (Turkish)
vér = blood || veri (Finnish)
víz = water || vesi (Finnish)

Still, there are many words that are uniquely Hungarian and must be memorized as you go.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

LOL OK my bad as far as Bijelo dugme is concerned :) that is perfect music to get yourself pissed aka completely drunk. :)

And yes, I am interested in romance languages :) - I am studying Romanian at the University actually (plus Latin and we also have Spanish courses as well).

And yes - that chart is interesting indeed - I know that Finnish and Hungarian are remotely related but I never thought that there are some similarities between Turkish and Finnish - especially since they are geographically so distant. Perhaps it might have something to do with the fact that they both can be classified as agglutinative languages?

What fascinates me about Finnish is that it seems its structure is one of the reasons why Finns are so good in academic achievements.

http://finnish-and-pisa.blogspot.com/

From that article - the reason why Finns score so highly in education is:

Quote:
....because Finnish spelling is regular. That is, the correspondence between letters and phonemes is tight: in general, one phoneme corresponds to one letter, and one letter to one phoneme.

....because of the richness of its derivational morphology.

....because foreign affixes and stems (for example, Greek and Latin affixes and stems) are used less often in Finnish than in many languages of OECD countries.

....because the relatively rare use of stems and affixes of foreign origin makes Finnish morphology more transparent than the morphology of most languages of OECD countries.

...which makes studying for Finnish kids a whole lot easier.

I have always been interested in the way some languages shapes the way we think :) There is a hypothesis about linguistic relativity which says exactly that. But of course it could be the other way around as well - since Finnish doesn't have a future tense, not even some "polite" words like "please" which corresponds to the nature of that people - direct, straightforward, always in the moment and precise, so of course people shape languages as well....

I wonder if my two month year old daughter would learn Finnish as well as Croatian (should we manage to migrate) how and whether it would shape and affect her consciousness.

Last edited by Booyakasha on 11 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.