Is it wrong for a guy to enjoy books aimed at girls?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

I'm not really much of a heavy reader, but there are some books that I like to read every now and then. My favorite book series is the Young Royals by Carloyn Meyer which are supposed to be for teenage girls yet I enjoyed reading the books in High School and still do. These books are about real women from historical royal families and what their lives were like starting at a young age and working their ways up to adulthood. I like these books because despite the fact that they are aimed at teenage girls I find them to have very interesting stories regarding these famous women like Mary Tudor and Marie Antoinette.

Sometimes I feel a little embaressed about liking these books so much because (a) I'm a guy and (b) I'm almost 22 years old and am still reading books for teenagers. I just haven't found any adult books that I like not because they're too hard for me to read but because most of them just don't interest me.

I know a lot of people are going to say there's nothing wrong with reading these books and people should be allowed to like what they like, but if anyone has read books by Carolyn Meyer like the Young Royals do you consider her books to be quality books?

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

I think it's cool. Never read the books though.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

Is it wrong for a girl to read books aimed at males?
No.
Gender stereotyping is wrong though.

Haven't read them, but scanned & they look interesting, informative, quality yet entertaining reading.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

As long as it's not a romance novel with a picture of fabio on the cover

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2012, 9:27 pm

Ich. That's wrong for anyone.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

IS it TWILIGHT?

Well anyways...just do it in secret and don't get caught :D

MBTI- ISTP

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm

Why does it matter to you what anyone else thinks of the quality of the books? Some of my favorite movies of all time got slammed by the critics and had audiences going "meh", but I still consider them to be good quality. If anything in the media makes you happy, then it's good quality. And in case anyone's wondering, I'm not counting enjoying things ironically - that's pretending to like something even though you think it's bad. I'm talking about things that actually bring you genuine joy.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm

No I freakin love books about anime girls like Salior Moon Hell Girl Witchblade ect their fun to read 8)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 12:23 am

When I was a kid, I was all into "Sweet Valley Twins."

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 1:54 am

I was all shunning girly stuff when I was little, and compensated for it later. It's clear that you want to read them, and I understand the embarrassment, but think about the fact no-one's one's going to know, except us here. :)

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:49 am

Eh, whatever you like. It's not gonna hurt anyone, so go at 'em.

You will reap what you've sown.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Apr 2012, 4:56 am

You might get made fun of for it but it's pretty common. If you enjoy it then more power to you.

charles52
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

There's nothing wrong with reading the books, but be sure you're being honest with yourself about what the attraction of these books is.

I was at an Aspie Support Group the other day, and one of the people (female) made a comment about how we Aspies often can't relate to people our own age, and tend to relate better to younger people. And reading novels is one way we learn about people, about ways to live our lives. And, of course, we Aspie guys tend to find girls a complete mystery :-) So maybe you're just trying to find out about people you'd like to be friends with.

I went through something similar myself... one of my first jobs was shelving books at the library, and at some point I just wanted to read some of those "girl books." Of course, "Are You There God It's Me Margaret" may have been a somewhat creepy first choice, but... it was a way to get a peek into a world I otherwise felt shut out of...

The one thing you might need to be careful about is the whole thing of older guys and younger girls... you're a little bit on one side of the border line, and if you find yourself thinking of girls on the other side of that line as girlfriend material... well, just be careful out there. As the saying goes, "fifteen will get you twenty, five will get you life."

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

I like the powerpuff girls xD

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

no i dont see anything wrong with enjoying a book and i read books aimed at boys anyways

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Who cares if it's what you enjoy, really.

You could always use the 'I enjoy exploring the insight into themes of a female perspective' rebuttal that essentially shuns whoever is giving you grief into the 'closed-minded one-dimensional dbag' category.