Has anyone else ever experienced this before?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

Sometimes when I'm doing something or looking at a certain object, I begin to have a kind of "flashback" and am able to see in my mind my ex and I together. We were either in a similar situation or the object was being used (like a game controller) or even given to me as a gift.

It's been happening a lot lately. Kind of annoying. I just sit there and watch it play in my head and then come back to reality.

Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this kind of thing before.

Cha0s123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

Of course that happens to other people.... I have quite a few things that I either bought or collected myself or my ex bought for me. It was beginning to annoy me how often he would come to mind, especially when I was busy doing other things. I tried to keep myself busy, but he'd come up out-of-the-blue. I finally gathered the things that most reminded me of him, put them in an old shoe box, and threw it in the back of my closet. He still comes to mind sometimes... but now I don't have to see those triggers! I just don't know if I have the heart to toss these gems out.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

Switch "ex" with "*insert name of person I used to like*" and yeah, I've been there. Just gotta keep being yourself and living your life until it goes away, I guess :?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

It sometimes doesn't matter if it's anything significant or not; it just keeps popping into my head. Really sucks.

Yeah, sounds best. Just annoying when you're in the middle of doing something and then you can't shut your thoughts off about the person.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

Yes. Actually, my entire town does it for me, since meeting him was one of the first significant events that happened when I moved here.

The fact that we still talk actually helps a bit--at least for me.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

I think that this happens to everyone at some point in their lives. Certainly not out of the ordinary.

Cha0s123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2012, 3:12 am

Kinme wrote:
It sometimes doesn't matter if it's anything significant or not; it just keeps popping into my head. Really sucks.

Yeah, sounds best. Just annoying when you're in the middle of doing something and then you can't shut your thoughts off about the person.

Totally get you, girl. I don't do it intentionally; he's just there. I realized that when I'm actually really busy, from working out in the yard to reading news articles, thoughts about my ex pop up more. It makes no sense to me!

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 3:55 am

Yeah, totally. Everyone gets that. Things usually come with a story.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:32 pm

>.< I've only had one relationship, so it's unusual for me to do these kind of things. I've never felt so strongly for someone that they force their way into my mind continuously.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm

Kinme wrote:
>.< I've only had one relationship, so it's unusual for me to do these kind of things. I've never felt so strongly for someone that they force their way into my mind continuously.

The old saying goes you never forget the first! It should pass...at some point :?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:36 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
Kinme wrote:

The old saying goes you never forget the first! It should pass...at some point :?

I really hope so. I can only deal with so much of this. I have other stuff to worry about. How long did it take for you, if you don't mind me asking...?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Apr 2012, 10:41 pm

Kinme wrote:

That happened to me for a long time after me & my 1st ex had broken up. I was extremely obsessed with her when we were together. I fell into a bad depression after the break up; I'm NOT saying it will happen with you but it wouldn't hurt to watch for signs & take some time for yourself to get over it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

nick007 wrote:
Kinme wrote:

That happened to me for a long time after me & my 1st ex had broken up. I was extremely obsessed with her when we were together. I fell into a bad depression after the break up; I'm NOT saying it will happen with you but it wouldn't hurt to watch for signs & take some time for yourself to get over it

That is EXACTLY what was beginning to happen. I ended up receiving fairly good advice and coming to my senses. I'm feeling pretty good right now, but these triggers are still coming and going. How long were you both together?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Apr 2012, 4:45 am

Kinme wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Kinme wrote:

That is EXACTLY what was beginning to happen. I ended up receiving fairly good advice and coming to my senses. I'm feeling pretty good right now, but these triggers are still coming and going. How long were you both together?

I think we were kind of a couple for about 6 months but we were friends a while 1st

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

Kinme wrote:
AScomposer13413 wrote:
Kinme wrote:

I really hope so. I can only deal with so much of this. I have other stuff to worry about. How long did it take for you, if you don't mind me asking...?

Technically I don't have any exes, but it took me about 6 months to a year to get over the first girl who wanted to get close to me :? I think that was just an exception, though.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 12:59 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
AScomposer13413 wrote:
Kinme wrote:

Technically I don't have any exes, but it took me about 6 months to a year to get over the first girl who wanted to get close to me :? I think that was just an exception, though.

Oh, okay. Sucks when you are so close and the person can rip that happiness away.