Personality Traits from Birth Order: true or false?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have the personality traits from birth order?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 20 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 52

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 12:11 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500172_162-511694.html

As an only child I found it extremely accurate.

This is for sampling purposes.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

myth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

Not at all. There were only two of us so my sister was the first and I am the last (2 years apart). I am a much stronger and financially responsible person than my sister. I also am quite reserved and much less social than her. I'm not charming, spoiled, manipulative or helpless :lol: My sister is also a much larger follower than me. I wouldn't call myself a leader per se but I'm more original than her, she's pretty much a sheeple and does what's popular at the time.

This article doesn't mention intelligence or scholastic achievement but I've read others that say the first born is usually the one to be most likely to excel in school and profession. This was also not true in my family.

Down in the parenting part, I did often feel like nothing I did mattered but I never ever got away with anything :P my mom was stricter on me than my sister because my sister would "Yes" her to death and then just not do it... whereas I would straight up tell her what I thought. So I was seen as the defiant one and my sister was used as an example to me of what I should be when she was doing everything that I was doing and more, she was just lying about it and I wasn't.

Nothing is absolute.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

It's partly accurate for me. I'm an only child and get only with people older than myself, but it's no secret that I am not responsible. Well, I am to a degree, but it's not a defining trait of mine and I am only a perfectionist when it comes to schoolwork.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

I am first born and that describes me pretty well, I don't do very well at work if I am not respected

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 6:31 pm

It says I'm especially social and outgoing........yeah, I don't think so. :roll:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 12:31 am

I used to be very shy and have tons of routines. Now I am more talkative and mostly grown out of routines, but still struggle with some social issues.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

There's no evidence of any kind for this (it would be hard to test it using double - blind trial method), so I don't believe it. And I am far from being a "natural leader",

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

Last Born

"Babies of the family are social and outgoing,"
In comparison to the general population: not really; in comparison to the rest of my family: definitely not.

"they are the most financially irresponsible of all birth orders."
I could be described as a bit indulgent, yes, though I do know how to manage money sufficiently.

"They just want to have a good time."
I would not say that I just want to have a good time; while I do enjoy leisure, I am definitely not an "all play and no work" type of person.

" Knowing that these kids love the limelight,"
I don't mind it, though I don't necessarily seek it. Unless it's at a poetry slam.

"it's no surprise to discover that Billy Crystal, Goldie Hawn, Drew Carey, Jim Carey and Steve Martin are all lastborns."
Who?

"While lastborns may be charming,"
I can be, but it is not a conscious decision.

"they also have the potential to be manipulative,"
I have the potential, yes, like most all other humans, though I try not to be.

" spoiled or babied to the point of helplessness."
I will admit that I am a bit guilty of this; however, I would like to think that I am not "helpless."

"The last born is the one who will probably still have a pet name although he's 29 and has a masters degree," Leman says.
As I am of rather short stature (5'0 to 5'1 and not expected to grow much more), I will likely always be called "Munchkin" or "Midget."

Overall, I would not say that this description is a perfect match of my personality, though I do share some of the traits that is expected from my birth order.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

I think the first one sounded a lot like me and I am the first born.

When my first brother was born, I was jealous and always had to touch my mother's arm when she had him to let her know I was still there as if I thought she would forget about me. But I didn't do that with my second brother and I wasn't jealous at all. I did not feel ignored by my mother because of my brothers. I grew out of that phase. Plus mom never dumped lot of responsibilities on me just because I was the oldest. I did baby sit my brothers when my parents go out. I never got paid for it and all we did just minded out own business. They just watched TV or played and I did my thing. Lot of times I wouldn't even know I was baby sitting. I just thought we were all left home alone because I was old enough to be home by myself. I never tried to be perfect for my mother. I tried to be perfect for myself. I do remember showing my mother what I did so maybe I did seek approval after all. But yet I am not a perfectionist anymore. If I was, then I would never get anything done or take me forever to do it. I just do my best and do little at a time.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

I am the youngest of 2.

Last Born

"Babies of the family are social and outgoing,"
Just like my sister, I am not very social & outgoing, although my mom tries to order the two of us into being so.

"they are the most financially irresponsible of all birth orders."
I could be described as being overtly irresponsible when it comes to money,
although I try not to be.

"They just want to have a good time."
I am NOT an "all play and no work" person, again just like my sister.

"Knowing that these kids love the limelight,"
Many people think I am an attention seeker, it's not true.

"it's no surprise to discover that Billy Crystal, Goldie Hawn, Drew Carey, Jim Carey and Steve Martin are all lastborns."
That's interesting.

"While lastborns may be charming,"
Many people think I am, I am not.

"they also have the potential to be manipulative,"
I do admit that I have the potential, but try to keep it to the side.

"spoiled or babied to the point of helplessness."
My mom does this to me and my sister a lot, but neither of us think of ourselves as "helpless."

"The last born is the one who will probably still have a pet name although he's 29 and has a masters degree,"
As I am the only male in my immediate family and taller than both my mom {4'11''} and my sister {5'7''}, I will likely always be called "Bigfoot" {because of hair on my feet}, or "Tall Fatty One" {because both my mom and my sister both think of my weight 180 LBS as overweight}, or something insulting that I can't repeat here.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 7:36 pm

I'm an only child and am not conscientious, reliable or a natural-born leader. Darn. :roll:

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jul 2012, 9:35 pm

I am an only child & I am a reliable & perfectionist who doesn't like surprises & is a somewhat compliant people pleaser in the workplace setting but I am a reserved leader & conscientious is veritable & so is the age of the people I get along with best.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 1:51 am

Pyrite wrote:
It says I'm especially social and outgoing........yeah, I don't think so. :roll:

That was my reaction exactly...

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

You're born with some, and gain more throughout your life.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

First born... that is so me!

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:30 am

I am the baby of the family. It says:

"Babies of the family are social and outgoing, they are the most financially irresponsible of all birth orders. They just want to have a good time. Knowing that these kids love the limelight, it's no surprise to discover that Billy Crystal, Goldie Hawn, Drew Carey, Jim Carey and Steve Martin are all lastborns.

While lastborns may be charming, they also have the potential to be manipulative, spoiled or babied to the point of helplessness.

"The last born is the one who will probably still have a pet name although he's 29 and has a masters degree," Leman says."

Waaaaay off for me! I am NOT social, extremely introverted, and hate the "limelight". I am not all that charming either. I do have a hard time budgeting money though.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)