Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

351Boss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2012, 9:27 pm

Any genre, I'm not much of a reader, which is funny because I suddenly discovered writing but as the subject suggests, are there many books written with aspie characters? Whether the Authors are aspie or not or whether the character/s is/are actually written as diagnosed or otherwise.

I'll start with a shameless plug of my own book Fourth Reality where the protagonist is intentionally written as an aspie. :wink:

Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close which of course was a book then adapted to film, the character 'Oscar' probebly has AS, but I'm no judge as I haven't read nor seen the story.

Boss

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 9:29 pm

Possibly bean from the ender's game universe. But he is also smart. So smart that he would make anyone else seem dumb in comparison

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm

The protagonist of Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is commonly identified as an Aspie, but it's not a very flattering portrayal, and the author has been backpedaling when it comes to whether or not the character was supposed to have AS or not. I posted a topic about this back in December.

A lot of people will tell you that Sherlock Holmes is definitely an Aspie, but I think he's a mild case at best, at least in the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories. The more recent film and TV versions have played up his Aspie tendencies much more, specifically the ones starring Jeremy Brett, Robert Downey, and Benedict Cumberbatch. That last one is the only one to actually use the A word.

Tom Ripley, from The Talented Mr. Ripley and its four sequels, also has some Aspie tendencies. He was more or less the alter ego of his creator, Patricia Highsmith, and I've heard several people speculate that she may have had AS. But, like the literary version of Holmes, I don't think he's severe enough that he would get a diagnosis.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:34 pm

Orsath the Fool (series of three novels) by Rudy Simone (an Aspie singer, speaker, writer).