Can you ride a bike?
Yes. 82%  82%  [ 158 ]
No. 18%  18%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 193

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

I'm very interested in this one. I've never been able to ride a bike. There was one point (when I was 14) where I literally had to learn to ride a bike. So I went down to the park in a secluded area each day and tried my hardest and I nearly ended up breaking my wrist. I never learnt. It was so embarrassing because my school ran this trip to Germany. As part of the trip everybody was scheduled a bike ride around Koln. The whole trip was cancelled just because I was the only one who couldn't ride a bike! Anyway, just out of interest, can you ride a bike?

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 9:54 pm

also I forgot to mention how I feel this is related to autism spectrum disorders due to poor motor function... but yeah that's why I feel it's related to this forum.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 9:57 pm

I have no problem with. Learnt to ride a bike at 4 years old or so and still enjoy it.

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 9:58 pm

and I've realised: Not the whole trip to Germany. Just the bike ride was cancelled!

(Sorry for so many errors and re-posts!)

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm

I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was eight, which is considered a tad bit late, but I can navigate on a bicycle fairly well. I do know, however, that my motor skill is not entirely at the level of a neurotypical's (though I do not consider myself to be impaired...just a bit clumsy).
I hope that you can one day master this skill of cycling, if that so appeals to you. Best of luck to you!

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:15 pm

I can ride a bike well now, but I didn't learn how to ride a bike until I was 9 years old. I had to learn from a video called pedal magic.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:38 pm

I can! I remember when I learned, my dad sent me outside with my bike and said "don't come back inside until you can ride that thing around the block!" It ended up working lol. The hardest part of riding a bike is just getting going, once you're moving it's easy as pie. Getting started can be tricky though if you've never done it or aren't used to it, if you aren't moving you will fall off pretty quickly.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm

I can ride a bike, but it did take me longer to learn how than my NT brother who is only a little younger than me. I should add the disclaimer that I can only ride bikes where I sit upright like a mountain bike, and I cannot ride bikes where I sit and my torso is parallel to the ground like road racing bikes (which is what my mom rides).

questor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

I learned to ride using training wheels as a child, but it took me longer because of my motor skills problems. Unfortunately, due to bad knees I am now no longer able to ride. :(

Training wheels are smaller wheels that attach to the sides of the rear tire. Because you are not riding in line, but tandem tired with them, it gives you a chance to start learning your balance, but in a safer fashion. I seem to remember there was one training wheel on each side to start with, and then, after I had gotten the hang of 4 wheel riding, my father removed one. Once I had gotten good at 3 wheel riding, he removed the second training wheel. I do remember how much I liked being able to ride my bike all over town. Once I got a little older I started riding to the neighboring towns, too. When I was an adult I even rode my bike to temp work assignments that were within reasonable bike range a few times when I had car troubles. :D It was great not having to miss work, or rent a car, or try to get a relative to drop me off and pick me up. :D

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was eight, which is considered a tad bit late,
It is? When are you supposed to learn? 7-8 was when I learned.

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2012, 11:29 pm

Yes, I finally learned when I was eight, despite initially starting when I was five.

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:33 pm

hm... I guess I never thought about it. 8 just seemed the normal age. that's one thing my dad did right, was force me to learn to ride a bike. wish he forced me to learn to throw a ball too.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:41 pm

Yes. I ride my bike all the time. I love that bike; so much better than driving a car.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 12:05 am

I learned to ride a bike when I was six.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 12:10 am

Yes, I ride a bicycle but since my early twenties I usually only do this while playing guitar at the same time. I have only ridden the one same bicycle the past thirty years (I turn 52 this summer). I figure I've traveled at least twenty-five thousand miles doing this. For me, it is a meditation in motion and provides some temporary relief of some of the physical and psychological stresses of my autistic traits.

This past winter, for the first time since I started bicycle guitaring, a helper from the local Regional Brokerage arranged for me to be able to ride and play indoors when it is too cold or wet to ride and play outside. Here's a YouTube video of me riding and playing inside a middle school gymnasium on February 9, 2012. In this video I am playing and singing the Beatles song Help!, but most of the time I make up my own songs as I ride and play.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrTjcHCNOc[/youtube]

Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 17 Apr 2012, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 12:12 am

Before 6th grade I rode a bike all the time, after I never did again. I had a bad accident in the summer after 5th grade.