Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

itstimenow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2012, 9:04 am

Hello,

As you can see I am new here and was wondering if you guys would mind giving me your opinion. I had never heard of aspergers before a few months ago when a friend jokingly suggested i may have it because I'm smart but quiet. Being my usual self i began researching and truely think i may have it and I would like people who actually have its opinion.

I am a recently graduated engineer who has always loved math and hated other subjects. I have never had many friends and always found it hard to make them. I am extremely anti social and find conversations awkward. The only time i dont find it awkward is with people i am close to like friends and family. Most of my friends actually came from them being my siblings friends until i was comfortable enough to get to know them.

I get hobbies which change alot and once i have one i become obsessed wanting to learn everything about it so i can be the best. However, when it is physically related i find i enjoy all the information gathering and learning all about it but lack the interest to do it. for example say i get into something like working out. i read about all the different ways, plans, diets, muscle anatomy, scientific studies, make plans for all of what i am gonna do but lose interest when i do it and move to another subject.

I have a strange attachment to things and hate to throw them away due to being afraid i will miss them someday. I remember getting upset when i was a child (actually crying) because my parents were getting rid of a piece of furniture.

I have always been called extremely intelligent by everyone due to always having extremely high literacy even as a young child and very developed skills in math. I do however find it hard to convey what i know and understand to others.

I find i do have anger issues as well where little things will extremely upset me but i calm down quickly. Such as a TV being on when I was studying.

Thanks for any insight guys! I truly appreciate it. Also, if you do believe i have it how have you gone about making friends? Since moving away from friends and family for college and work I have found I haven't made any real friends through my whole college career and work at a small office. I really have no friends close for social interaction. Thanks again!

(forgot one other note. I tend to have some OCD traits like having to check everything in my apartment is off multiple times before leaving just to be sure nothing will happen while i am gone. or setting my alarm clock multiple times at night to be sure it will go off in the morning.)

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2012, 10:26 am

To me, you do sound like an Aspie, however, I'm not a professional, I'm a teenage girl. I'd suggest taking the AQ test. There are LOADS online. Just do a Google search and answer honestly. They're not conclusive, but they pretty accurate, although it would take a professional psychologist to actually diagnose you.

PM me if you want to discuss traits, because I know a lot of the things you're talking about, and have spent most of my life learning to live around them!

P.S.- Making friends is hard, and it took me about a year to feel fully settled into my secondary school and make friends, but it can be done, and things do tend to work themselves out, I find, but remember, success is an attitude as well as a skill when it comes to social stuff.

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

itstimenow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

Thanks for the opinion. I do appreciate it. I have taken a few of the online ones and it usually says i have it. The most recent one I took claimed the average non-aspie person scored a 16.4 and aspies typically scored 32 or higher....i scored a 41

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

Online tests may or may not be well-researched or in any way scientific. Also, it can be difficult to describe your own symptoms objectively. Rating scales administered by a clinician tend to be more reliable, but even that is no substitute for a formal diagnosis. If you feel that having a label such as Asperger's Syndrome would help you to better understand your challenges and quirks, you may want to consider going for a diagnosis. Otherwise, there are many books written for people with AS (such as those by Tony Attwood) which offer strategies that you may find useful, regardless of whether or not you have AS.