Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

plague
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2006, 8:14 pm

Im stuck in VB 5.0 i want to learn that version, but i cant find any tutorials that are for novice's. Does anybody know of any links and/or downloads?

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2006, 9:36 pm

Have you tried w3schools?

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2006, 10:48 pm

Stuck in VB5, eh? There's VB.NET nowadays. Get with the program! :p

plague
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2006, 6:47 pm

oi the computer im using is the old family comp and it only has win 98 on it and i like to program at night when everyones asleep and i cant use the good comp coz i hav to ask to use it. i wud get with the program if i had my own spuer gud computer.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 2:39 am

I'd recomend you not go with Visual Basic.

C/C++/Java are all fairly similar, so learn one and the others wouldn't be too hard to pick up

Python is fairly popular, but not sure that it's very useful for getting a job (to the best of my knoweldge it's fairly easy)

LISP may be a good language to start out your programming with. Very easy Syntax. (LISP is especially good to learn if you're using EMacs, which is a very impressive text editor. You could write some functions that would help you write code)

I personally like Java, but that's just me.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 12:25 pm

Apparently, VB and Java are the 2 languages employers are looking for people with knowledge of. I recommend you also learn c/c++/c# and Java.

If you want a newer version of VB, you can get VB Express 2005 from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2006, 5:54 pm

VB5 is obsolete, and makes slow programs that require large libraries to run. However, if you're after a quick first language to learn, that will let you create cool stuff as soon as possible, VB is an excellent choice. I would recommend using at least VB6 (or newer), if that's possible. You can always jump to a different language later, infact nearly all people do.

Whatever you do, DO NOT learn LISP. It's a terrible first langauge to learn. Usually, if you learn one programming language, you can then pick up other ones very fast. This is not true of LISP. It's a strange ancient programming language that's almost unused today, except for AIs. If you learn lisp, you'll be confused by all its different implementations, baffled by the tutorials written by unix hippies, and once you give up, you're skills won't help you start another language. The language has it's place, but it's not good to start on.

I would recommend not starting with C or C++ either. Although you can learn them with no previous experience, there's a much steeper learning curve, and you won't be able to do cool things as soon. These languages will put you through a lot of frustration.