What should my neighbor and I do, when she visits?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

coconapple
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 2:57 am

Hi, an old (as in, from a previous town I lived at) neighbor of mine is visiting me this week. She's very cool. Very chatty, tons of friends. Very outgoing, very high-energy kind of person. Totally different from me.
I'm only 25, and she's 50-something, but I like her very much :-)

I have no clue what to do when she visits.. I'm not used to receiving people in my home.

When we lived next to each other it we'd just pop in once in a while, say hello and chat for a bit, but now that is traveling out of her way to come visit me, I don't understand how it should go.

Do we just sit on the couch and chat? Thankfully she's chatty enough for 10 people, she can lead the conversation ;P
But I don't want the visit to be boring for her. I'm not really talkative, I try but I always chat the wrong way.. the wrong questions, wrong topics, it's just awkward. Oh well, I'll deal with that when it happens, but...

Sitting on the couch is probably going to be so boring, uh?
She's visiting in the afternoon, so maybe we can munch on some finger food while sipping some coffee?
Could we maybe cook/prepare these foods together? She's very hard working and would probably LOVE to do something "hands on" with me, but is that "normal" to do with someone visiting? :P

Weather's warming up so maybe go for a walk? I guess there's a yarn store she might like, so maybe we could browse around.
It sure would make conversation easier and prevent boredom for her :-)

Could someone help me out a bit? Thanks!

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2012, 5:45 am

coconapple wrote:
Sitting on the couch is probably going to be so boring, uh?
She's visiting in the afternoon, so maybe we can munch on some finger food while sipping some coffee?
Could we maybe cook/prepare these foods together? She's very hard working and would probably LOVE to do something "hands on" with me, but is that "normal" to do with someone visiting? :P

Weather's warming up so maybe go for a walk? I guess there's a yarn store she might like, so maybe we could browse around.
It sure would make conversation easier and prevent boredom for her :-)

Could someone help me out a bit? Thanks!

This is all sounds very good to me.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 7:06 am

coconapple wrote:

Sounds about as normal as it gets, really. Probably depends on the culture though. I could imagine it might be weird for billionaires or celebrities (or maybe it's not, who knows)

coconapple

18 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

Thank you both, I'm glad it doesn't sound too silly. I rarely invite anyone over because I don't know how to "entertain" them :-P
So I feel kind of bad if she travels a long distance then is bored with me.. *face palm*

I'm sure it will be ok... *shrug*

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:14 pm

A little late responding, but still throwing this out there.

I find that if the person is that outgoing, they will make sure that whatever is going on is not boring, because they have the energy to do so. Let her lead, and don't worry about being too boring. Throw out your ideas to her (you have some really great ideas already, so keep to the ones you've mentioned above), and she'll pick what sounds good, and it's okay if some things get done and others don't. Ultimately, she sounds like the person who will be he driving force of the visit, and by the end of it you will have done so much with her and she will have been so entertaining for you, that you'll probably breathe a sigh once she leaves and you have a bit of quiet to yourself again (and this is also a good thing).

Enjoy your visit with her! She sounds like a wonderful friend to have.