AS-bad at recognizing facial expressions/body language?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 12:57 pm

Are people with AS bad at recognizing facial expressions? I don't know for SURE if I'm on the spectrum or not but have been suspicious for years.

Anyway I JUST found out from my girlfriend about all these faces I apparently make, that I didn't know I make, and she asked if I could read her body language and stuff when she was apparently annoyed by my fixing her computer when she wanted us to be watching a show.

I had NO clue about any body language on her part, and no clue that she was tired this sunday when we were driving in the car until she told me, and I guess she thinks I should know about this stuff.

I do well on those "recognize the emotion" tests they have online-really well at those. But I guess I had no idea I was letting off info on my face, and I'm not noticing any of this stuff on her.

What...do you guys think about all that?

E27
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

I have a lot of trouble reading body language. I also have trouble just looking at a face.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

Yeah, through into my early 20s I had problems looking at people's faces when I talked to them. Still makes me uncomfortable, though I kind of "practiced" with this guy at work who's friendly when we'd be talking a long time, and I think I can sort of do it okay now. I don't know, like looking at someone's eyes is intense for me?

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

Yes it's pretty common, but not universal.

There is an online test you can try, google "mind in the eyes"

This will show how good you are at reading facial expressions.

Jason

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 1:30 pm

Jtuk wrote:

This will show how good you are at reading facial expressions.

Jason

Well see that's the weird thing-when I've tried those tests, I'm really really good at them. Like I get most of them and it says I did good. So I thought I was good, but my girlfriend is saying that I'm apparently completely oblivious to this stuff. I mean she had to TELL me it before I know.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm

I wouldn't know I was missing out on it unless told. I also think we may think we are good at it and then we are shocked when we find out we missed out on the cues. That was the case with me. My husband has to spell everything out for me because I don't read him.

EstimatedProphet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

I used to have a problem with it, but when I realized in high school that all the NTs are usually full of s**t and that women always like to beat around the bush I decided to study body language and facial expressions. It's something I always think about now unless it's just a casual conversation with friends.

KittyCommand0r

18 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

I didn't know Body Language existed until high school and I learned about it in some class.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

I'm quite good with reading body language and face expressions. Sometimes I misinterpret non-verbal cues, but not enough to be recognizable. But generally I'm good at it.

I am half deaf now, but I can still pick up on what people are saying (if they speak clear enough) because I am good at listening, and I can also lip-read - and I can get more clues of what they're saying or how they're feeling just by reading their face expressions and body language.

And I'm good at sussing people out when they lie. It's a pity for other people though, because they've got to be very, very convincing when they want to lie to me. My mum isn't a very good liar, she's usually honest, and when she does lie to me I can hear the wobble in her voice and she stutters and I can also tell in her body language, and that's how I can suss her out.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

This is one of the things I'm worst at.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 3:38 pm

Well to me body language & facial recognition is a learned skill. Some people are good at referencing past experience of body language & facial. But then I think they full of it when they say that you should naturally have it. Or some people might be natural at it. Just like people are more aware of seeing things that other people don't see.

Really body language & facial cues can be faked. I don't see why they so obsessed with it & if people were good at it everyone would be a great poker player & never get lied to or conned.

Really I just think this is sciences bs gone mad. Trying to accelerate people & why would they be so many books & courses, if it was not a learned skill. I just normally go for excessive coughing & nervous talk that starts & the eyes. & if they start playing with a pen or hand rubbing.

I normally more listen to the way they react to something, as they normally can't hide they view. Or as the saying goes “Put they foot in one's mouth”, if you just let them keep talking.

Quote:
To not talk, to be silent in company when there is a lot of talking is an art in itself. Many people tend to think that when there is a silence there is just nothing more to say. Not true! It often means that people are trying to figure out something intuitively about themselves or the other(s). Quite often too they are noticing something about the body language of the other(s) and are paying attention to that.

http://www.lichaamstaal.com/english/intonation.html

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

RainShadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

I have trouble some times, but have taught myself certain cues to look for. Like if they put their notebook in their bag, they are ready to leave, but even then I have to actively think about it "ok they must be ready to end this, I should finish quickly." I watched a talk show once as a kid about body language and they showed lots of examples that stuck in my head. Did you know people who like each other will spend most of their time together with their legs crossed towards one another? Apparently they do. I haven't had the guts to ask "hey are your legs aimed at her because you subconsciously like her?" I fear their response too much.

I took that "mind in the eyes" thing (scored 22) and barely got within the typical range (22-30). I think a lot of us might have trouble with it, it's something we learn if we want to adapt. I admit, my husband still has to spell things out for me, after 7 years of marriage, often times to my embarrassment and it makes me feel stupid, like I'm in a perpetual "blonde" moment.` I hate the phrase, but "it is what it is". We're different, it stands to reason that our perceptions would be different too.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

It's a bit more complicated than just doing well on those 'face reading' tests. They have you looking at still picture that you can look at for a while. In reality you only get a nano-second to see body language as it's a whole series of images that have to be read together and also put into context.

Another thing to bear in mind is that research shows many high functioning individuals have no problems reading basic emotions such as happy, sad, angry but can't read complex emotions such as pride or shame.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

OP, do you experience this problem with anyone else?
Perhaps your girlfriend just isn't very good at expressing herself non-verbally

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 6:38 pm

Jtuk wrote:

I just tried that test. I thought I was really struggling while taking it, but my score was at the high end of the normal range?! That's really strange, considering how much difficulty I have with social interaction.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

For those who were surprised by how well they done on the mind in the eyes test, was it near instant recognition of the emotion (within 3 seconds or thereabouts) or did you have to stop think and rule out each emotion etc.?

If you had to think too much and use intellect, then this may explain it.

I scored a 22 when I first took that test (low end of normal), but it took me ages and it was a purely intellectual exercise.

Jason.