Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tranceponder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2012, 12:58 am

Ok, I can't understand lyrics in music. I've said it. It's very embarrassing (aside from not understanding jokes haha). I've always felt a disconnection from them. I don't know how to describe it other than by saying that. Am I alone on this? Or are any of you like this too?

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 1:03 am

I can't understand them too. I come up with some funny s**t only later to find out it's completely different.

Feline1982
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 1:06 am

I don't care about the lyrics and I don't think about them when I sing. I think music is best when instrumental. I don't know if I understand the lyrics or not, or am I just having some literally thinking problem here. :D It's like, I don't understand why a song must have lyrics, but I do understand what the lyrics mean if I start analyzing them.

It's funny, that when I sing, I remember all the words but I don't think about them and they come out like some string of numbers, but yet those who listen to me say I really get into the meaning of song. Hah. It's not that, I just get in to the music, melody, harmony, rhythm. :)

Mooby blues: Melancholy man

(Feline is Not-native Englishspeakker, excuse my freaky grammar or någonting)

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2012, 1:22 am

I understand lyrics in pieces, but find it difficult to make sense of too many emotion driven concepts in one piece.
Very confusing.
So, I just resort to appreciating the overall feel that the music itself relates.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 2:45 am

You dont understand what the lyrics mean? If so, I dont think most people do, they are generally open to interpretation
Or
You cant identify the words from the music when listening? If so, I think that is common until people become familiar with the song. I can identify the lyrics only when I have listened to the song quite a bit.

I really dont think it matters whether or not you get the lyrics, I think music is more about the total sound than anything else. Just a thought: maybe you might like listening to karaoke versions that have no lyrics?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Apr 2012, 4:01 am

I feel ya, I can understand when words are being spoken clearly but it is hard to follow what people are saying exactly in a lot of music to me. If I really want to know I just look up the lyrics. I don't think this is that uncommon tho.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:39 am

I embraced how literally and realistically I take lyrics. It amuses me especially with lyrics that are metaphoric, or don't have a set meaning.