I want to be able to touch the basketball rim.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

How do I go about being able to do that?
If I run and jump my wrist is a little bit above the bottom of the net, but I cannot touch the bottom of the back board. I am 5ft11, and in okay shape, not near as good as I used to be. I am unable to bend down and touch my toes, not very stretchable. So would it be unreasonable to think that if I worked hard I could touch the rim in 2 months time? I can only go the the gym (a rec center, no weights there) to shoot hoops about 3 maybe 4 times a week because of work. But I could buy a jump rope (should I get one with weighted handles?) and stretch and do push up and stretches at home.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 7:12 pm

Dunking is about 99-percent genetics and 1-percent effort. I am 6'00 and used to be able to dunk weakly in my early-to-mid 20s. I was one of the few white guys who actually could jump. :lol: But even at that, I couldn't dunk every time ... could touch the rim consistently, my hand could barely palm the ball and if I had a decent jump, I could "slam" it. But really, it wasn't much I did other than being 6"00 and 160 pounds with springy leg muscles. Twenty years down the road, my leg muscles are still strong, but with 40 extra pounds on my frame, AirCatamount has been grounded. :P

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 7:16 pm

well if someone is 6ft 7 then they feel like it shouldn't be hard to dunk (or at least not as hard), so they don't feel like it is impossible. That along with obviously being taller makes it easier.

You can find a bunch of youtube videos of people 5ft 8 or so being able to dunk the ball. They practiced for months or even years. I am not saying I want to be able to do that, I would probably just lose patience by then, but I would like to be able to touch the rim.

I cannot palm the ball, I have small hands. My hands are fairly strong from doing wrestling for a year, if I squeeze someone's hand hard they wince or are at least surprised :)

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:12 pm

The answer is in, technique and practice, but also leg strength. You might be able to get a better jump if you do more squats, deadlifts, and Olympic lifts, especially the snatch, though it's pretty much the hardest compound lift around. Squats are like, the "classic" exercise for leg strength, but snatches are all explosive power, and you're pretty much jumping the weight over your head, if that makes any sense. Alot is just keeping the core straight whilst jumping, too. I don't know, dunking would be cool. I'm 5'9 and I can touch about the middle of the net. Haven't tried recently, though.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

Take it for what it's worth, but here's what Lance Armstrong's website has to say about it:

Dunking exercises

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:33 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_nhVxZQZw[/youtube]

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"