Potentially dangerous yet popular health advice

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:27 am

I saw this image posted on facebook this morning:

I've noticed a trend for quite a few years now to give overweight people an excuse by telling them they're fine as they are. Or that "real women" are 17 stone and have a 50 inch waist. This picture above is a perfect example, she's even holding a cigarette (although this quote is probably old because she's lot weight since her first album 4 years ago.) And pointing out the flaws in this logic makes you "fat hating" or whatever, yeah obesity is a turn off for me and I would lose the will to live if I ended up that way.

What do you think about this phenomenon? Would you say it's encouraging obesity by making it cool?
What other dangerous health advice have you come across? Ranging from both ends of the scale from obesity encouraging to faddy diets like babyfood diets.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:53 am

she's not setting a particularly healthy example. she can be fit and healthy and still be creative, so that is a bit of a cop-out on her part, AFAIC.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:54 am

I view it as being true to yourself not really promoting anything though, I still don't understand how people can not exercise when it is a good stress reliver and makes you feel better.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:28 am

Joker wrote:
I view it as being true to yourself not really promoting anything though, I still don't understand how people can not exercise when it is a good stress reliver and makes you feel better.

I know, it's also great for self esteem. My new gym equipment is putting me in a great mood.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:43 am

I don't care what anyone does so long as they don't ram it down my neck.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 7:13 am

It's not great but I don't think it's anything worse than the anorexic celebrities prancing around and giving off a "skinny is cool" image either.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 8:59 am

It's just an opposite reaction to the anorexic models and whatnot. Two extremes of dumb advice. That said, my personal taste in women is a bit on the curvy side, but not obese. I'm assuming many guys are like that, and yeah.

I think what it stems from is partially, BMI and scale numbers are very inaccurate in the realm of determining your actual healthiness. Like take a lot of female athletes, according to BMI they've overweight, many hovering in the 25-26 range. It's because BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass and bone structure. Like for me, to even hit 25 BMI I'd have to be sub 10% bodyfat. So for me to use weight recommendations and BMI, I'd be spinning my wheels at best, and at worse, it'd be unhealthy. There's also the classic ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph subtypes, and while those aren't like totally accurate, there's obviously people you see that fit those types, and it's just their bodytype and there's nothing they can do. So there is a grain of truth in these new kinda campaign things, but the problem is, it's telling people, say, 150lbs is OK to be no matter what your bodytype and height, rather than 150lbs being good for a specific bodytype/height/activity level.

I think some of it, too, there's simply less skinny people now, due to the food supply being so crappy and nobody cooking things themselves anymore. Now fat people are the majority really, so it's much harder to make fun of fat people if you are one. So now, the bar is lowered and what constitutes as "skinny" now could be 20-30 years ago's "fat."

Another thing you gotta consider, too, the media representations of stuff. I kinda have a theory that back in, say, the 40s or so, you were kinda only "fat" if you were grossly overweight, so a "little extra" was sorta OK, but then once movies and media became widespread, and for all intensive purposes, everything got skimpier for both sexes. So now people see ideal looking people for both sexes all over everyday, not just once in a blue moon, so now "real people" are judged against people basically paid to look good.

Yeah, it's all dumb and reactionary. It's pretty much just due to people being dumb. People just need to concentrate on their own body, and not compare it to others, but at the same time, not comparing to others doesn't mean being lazy and unhealthy.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

I'm a full-time engineering student (with excellent grades) and I also work a lot. I still have time to exercise heavily.

A real woman has the body fat percentage in the mid 20's. If Adelle ate healthy food and jogged 3 hours a week, she'd reach that percentae within 8-12 months.

Last edited by Kurgan on 21 Apr 2012, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

lostgirl1986 wrote:
It's not great but I don't think it's anything worse than the anorexic celebrities prancing around and giving off a "skinny is cool" image either.

Just how many men want a girlfriend who looks like Paris Hilton?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

Not everyone who's overweight is obese, just like not everyone who's underweight is anorexic for instance....I do not think everyone should strive to be skinny, yes i think it is ok for there to be variations in body type. If someone's weight is causing them health problems then yes they should address that issue......but people who aren't perfectly skinny don't need people constantly telling them they should be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:14 am

Kurgan wrote:
I'm a full-time engineering student (with excellent grades) and I also work a lot. I still have time to exercise heavily.

A real woman has the body fat percentage in the mid 20's. If Adelle ate healthy food and jogged 3 hours a week, she'd reach that percentae within 8-12 months.

Ok so what gender are women who have a body fat percentage above that? and are heavier men not real men either?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not everyone who's overweight is obese, just like not everyone who's underweight is anorexic for instance....I do not think everyone should strive to be skinny, yes i think it is ok for there to be variations in body type. If someone's weight is causing them health problems then yes they should address that issue......but people who aren't perfectly skinny don't need people constantly telling them they should be.

Women who are fit don't need other women telling them that they should be fatter either.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Ok so what gender are women who have a body fat percentage above that? and are heavier men not real men either?

Women who are obese are less fertile. Men who are obese produce less testosterone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Women who are fit don't need other women telling them that they should be fatter either.

Maybe people just ought to stay out of other peoples personal buisiness in general unless asked their opinion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

Women who are obese are less fertile. Men who are obese produce less testosterone.

And that means they aren't real women or men?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

And that means they aren't real women or men?

I said the stuff about real women to underline a point. I'm fed up of unhealthy women like Adele who think they're a better role model in terms of physical health than a fit woman is.

If.she's comfortable with being obese, by all means let her be that way. Implying that a more fit woman would make less interesting music is extremely arrogant, though.