Potentially dangerous yet popular health advice

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

Kurgan wrote:
Men who are obese produce less testosterone.

Or is it the reverse? Testosterone levels increased, cause body fat to be less, and the other issue is that many men convert testosterone to estrogen after about age 35, and that causes body fat to increase, and causes other health problems.

Obesity is sometimes a symptom of depression, or a symptom of a hormone problem or other illness, or it can be a cause of health problems. One thing for sure, is it's not for anyone else to judge. And further, it may or may not be a condition that the person has any control of. Vegetarians who eat a tea spoon of food three times a day, can be obese, and could starve to death while still obese, if their hormones are unbalanced. Just the same; a boney skinny person with hormone imbalances of other kinds, can pack down fries and ice cream all day long, while lying on the couch, and never gain an ounce.

Charles

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

Just sayin'.
VeganBodybuilding

I'll never understand how, in 2012, people still believe there's some magical nutrient found only in animal products. :)

I'd like to mention the Vitamin D deficiency epidemic, being encouraged by doctors constantly warning against the dangers of sunshine.

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 30 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Obesity is sometimes a symptom of depression, or a symptom of a hormone problem or other illness, or it can be a cause of health problems. One thing for sure, is it's not for anyone else to judge. And further, it may or may not be a condition that the person has any control of. Vegetarians who eat a tea spoon of food three times a day, can be obese, and could starve to death while still obese, if their hormones are unbalanced. Just the same; a boney skinny person with hormone imbalances of other kinds, can pack down fries and ice cream all day long, while lying on the couch, and never gain an ounce.

Charles

Oh, my word, thank you.
So sick of the constant equivocation of weight with nutritional adequacy, when there's rampant obesity combined with malnutrition in the West, due to the availability of calorie dense/nutrient poor food.

to his Interest."

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Men who are obese produce less testosterone.

Or is it the reverse? Testosterone levels increased, cause body fat to be less, and the other issue is that many men convert testosterone to estrogen after about age 35, and that causes body fat to increase, and causes other health problems.

Charles

I'm well aware of what it can be a symptom of, as I've been obese myself. Even though my metabolism is slow, though, I've still managed to reach a low bodyfat level. :)

However, sometimes, being below ideal body fat levels MAY mess up your testosterone levels.

An obese person who eats three spoons of grain a day will send his body into starvation mode and cause it to burn muscle, reduce the immune defiency system and so on to presere the fat mass. This is why bodybuilders don't cut more than 1000 calories from their diet (except for the last week) when cutting down. Likewise, a man with a large frame and a slow metabolism can at the most gain 20 lbs of raw at in six months (based on an experiment conducted in American prisons).

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Just sayin'.
VeganBodybuilding

I'll never understand how, in 2012, people still believe there's some magical nutrient found only in animal products. :)

I'd like to mention the Vitamin D deficiency epidemic, being encouraged by doctors constantly warning against the dangers of sunshine.

Anything you can find in a piece of meat, you can find elsewhere as well. Having said that, being a strict vegan and at the same time mainaining a healthy diet is more expensie than not being a vegan.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:41 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Just sayin'.
VeganBodybuilding

Anything you can find in a piece of meat, you can find elsewhere as well. Having said that, being a strict vegan and at the same time mainaining a healthy diet is more expensie than not being a vegan.

I'm not sure- due to my metabolism, I don't spend nearly as much on food as a "normal" person would,
and I've been vegan as long as I've been buying my own food, so I don't even know what it would be like to buy animal products.

I do know that a lot of people think they have to consume XYZ uber-expensive faux animal product,
though, just because it's what they're used to.

My ex and I used to stroll around the grocery store, just laughing at the differences.
1 PINT of vegan vanilla ice cream: $6
1 GALLON of dairy vanilla ice cream: $3

to his Interest."

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Just sayin'.
VeganBodybuilding

I'm not sure- due to my metabolism, I don't spend nearly as much on food as a "normal" person would,
and I've been vegan as long as I've been buying my own food, so I don't even know what it would be like to buy animal products.

I do know that a lot of people think they have to consume XYZ uber-expensive faux animal product,
though, just because it's what they're used to.

My ex and I used to stroll around the grocery store, just laughing at the differences.
1 PINT of vegan vanilla ice cream: $6
1 GALLON of dairy vanilla ice cream: $3

It's like that because they still earn money by it. However, you can get vegan protein powder from rice, potatoes or soy quite cheaply; it tastes like crap, but the quality is good.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 6:49 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Just sayin'.
VeganBodybuilding

For the same reasons people still buy ass masters 3000 to "tone and lose weight"

Never "misunderestimate " the irrational mind of an NT.

Take my Mom she buys "olive leaf extract" ridiculously priced of cause ,I tell her "to do what" You only use ev olive oil she says it's "different" and not the same .

Ok I say what nutrient is in this magical potion that can't be found in E oil?

Answer She doesn't know. :roll: :roll:

One of many reasons I could never do a relationship .

Oh well it's her money I suppose she can do what she likes

And your right I even get my B12 from my homebrew , :D just like the movie star told me to do, if it ain't broken why fix it :wink: