Potentially dangerous yet popular health advice

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

Delphiki wrote:
I don't really see your point. He still looks airbrushed or on steroids. I never want to gain that much muscle. At 5ft 11 I would not want to weigh more than 175, probably no more than 160. But I am to skinny anyway. An I think I have a small frame, don't know how to know how big of a frame I have

I didn't say you wanted that. I posted him as an example to proove that you can gain more muscle than you think. 2 years of heavy exercise with a healthy diet and you'll be at 175 lbs with a pretty low bodyfat percentage, without steroids.

Edward Norton has an extremely small frame and was originally very skinny, yet, he built this physique quickly:

:)

Last edited by Kurgan on 22 Apr 2012, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

And you saying he looked disgusting because he was 30 plus, no. My step dad looks great at 50, and he is not ripped to the point of looking like an alien.

I did wrestling for a year, I know how to work out hard. 2 months I went from nothing to being able to bench my weight. But your example looks airbrushed or on steriods, so isn't that kind of a counterexample

Now see, Edward Norton (Italien Job!) is a good example, he does not look like an alien. much better

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 9:50 am

Delphiki wrote:
And you saying he looked disgusting because he was 30 plus, no. My step dad looks great at 50, and he is not ripped to the point of looking like an alien.

IF he was ripped and had a 4% body fat level, his muscles would looks equally hard and vascular. This is why it's been more than 20 years since a bodybuilder younger than 30 won mr. Olympia.

Quote:
I did wrestling for a year, I know how to work out hard. 2 months I went from nothing to being able to bench my weight. But your example looks airbrushed or on steriods, so isn't that kind of a counterexample

He wasn't airbrushed and didn't start using roids until his late 30's. That being said, Dianabol (which bodybuilders used back then) will at the most give you 10-12 lbs of raw muscle.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

Kurgan wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
I don't really see your point. He still looks airbrushed or on steroids. I never want to gain that much muscle. At 5ft 11 I would not want to weigh more than 175, probably no more than 160. But I am to skinny anyway. An I think I have a small frame, don't know how to know how big of a frame I have

I didn't say you wanted that. I posted him as an example to proove that you can gain more muscle than you think. 2 years of heavy exercise with a healthy diet and you'll be at 175 lbs with a pretty low bodyfat percentage, without steroids.

Edward Norton has an extremely small frame and was originally very skinny, yet, he built this physique quickly:

:)

Well aside from the nazi tattoo(don't worry I've seen the movie I don't actually think he's a nazi), I find that quite a bit more attractive than Mr. Muscle. But I don't know that's the only movie I think I've seen him in where he has his shirt off so how do you know that's not how he usually looks?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

Delphiki wrote:

Now see, Edward Norton (Italien Job!) is a good example, he does not look like an alien. much better

Edward Norton has a more natural look, the other guy did kinda look like he was on steroids.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Edward Norton has a more natural look, the other guy did kinda look like he was on steroids.

You can't tell if someone looks like they're on roids. At all. Unless they have some negative reaction like back acne or whatever. Other than that, it's pointless to say "aha, it's because they're on steroids." You might as well go around being like "well he's happy, he's on antidepressants" or something like that. Besides, steroids themselves don't do much without training, they just allow you to train more and recover faster. They're not magic.

Anyway, bodybuilders look weird. I really don't like that look, it just looks odd. Just the proportions are off looking. I much prefer the look of Olympic weightlifters (non super heavyweights, obviously.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUl7UqbL3uc They don't look like, exaggerated.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

Thank you for correcting me 1000knives (not sarcasm). So whether or not he was doing steroids is another matter, the bodybuilder look is what bothered me about it then.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:44 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

You can't tell if someone looks like they're on roids. At all. Unless they have some negative reaction like back acne or whatever. Other than that, it's pointless to say "aha, it's because they're on steroids." You might as well go around being like "well he's happy, he's on antidepressants" or something like that. Besides, steroids themselves don't do much without training, they just allow you to train more and recover faster. They're not magic.

So I think he looks like he's on steroids....as I said before to each their own, I honestly don't care one way or another. My only real point was not everyone finds that level of muscle very attractive. How is thinking someone with a ridiculous amount of muscle looks like they're on steroids anything like assuming if someones happy their on anti-depressants. I was on anti-depressants once and it sure as hell didn't make me happy so that would be a stupid assumption to make.

Since steroids are not exactly unheard of when it comes to building up muscle I don't think it's too ridiculous to think someone looks like they could be using them...doesn't mean I'm making a character judgement based on it.

Anyway, bodybuilders look weird. I really don't like that look, it just looks odd. Just the proportions are off looking. I much prefer the look of Olympic weightlifters (non super heavyweights, obviously.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUl7UqbL3uc They don't look like, exaggerated.

Yeah that is pretty much all I was getting at, that I don't find it very attractive...steroids or not.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:37 pm

omni diet.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

Oh yeah our bodies are soooo not designed for that. :roll:

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:51 pm

A protein is a protein...

www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=news_wweekly -

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 6:52 am

A vegan bodybuilder:

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 8:35 am

61 year old vegetarian bodybuilder:

I'm not saying that one should try to become this, but it indicates what a lacto-ovo-vegetarian (not vegan) diet can accomplish.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

MONKEY wrote:
A vegan bodybuilder:

Well if you chose to believe everything the MLA and dairy inc tells you that's your choice I suppose. :shrug:

"Milk is for babies when you grow up your meant to drink beer"

Please listen to the Hollywood movie star......

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 5:39 am

That image was "tongue in cheek".

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

[quote="MONKEY"]That image was "tongue in cheek".[/quote

Me to . :wink:

I love that quote thank you Arnold Schwarzenegger :)