Frustrating when I can't think of words I want to use.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 9:19 am

At work I was asked where the futon's are. I thought- what the hell is a futon? I know what it is...i should know this. They are staring at me waiting for an answer. Oh cheap couch/bed. Great now they think I am slow.

It can be frustrating when I can't think of words I want to use. It shouldn't take me 8 or so seconds to think of the word futon. Especially since I might mention to friends that I have, or used to have, a speech issue and they would have to ask what it is. I had speech class for remember words I cant't think of and pronunciation for preschool-4th grade, I mean I used to get caught on a word what seemed like every other sentence but it is still aggravating the occasional time it happens.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

Ever heard the saying “It's on the tip of my tongue, give me a minute”. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I think writers might call this writers block, when they thinking of a word to use or an actor who forgot his next line or came out wrong.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

I get this quite a lot. I know that I know but I just can't say what it is!! ! It's like playing pictionary in my head, pretty frustrating at times I must admit.

Cubits
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2012, 10:48 am

I think this happens to everyone, but i don't think everyone dwells on the word for several hours until they get it and spontaneously blurt it out like i do. :p

Looneytunes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2012, 11:52 am

I have the words in my mind, but can't always get them to come out of my mouth the way I mean to say it.
I can write them down, but usually after I read it, I have things that I want to change and most internet forums won't let you change them unless it also shows that I edited the post.
That is what I like about this forum.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

Cubits wrote:
I think this happens to everyone, but i don't think everyone dwells on the word for several hours until they get it and spontaneously blurt it out like i do. :p

I've done this before. Sometimes if I don't see the person for a few weeks after a conversation I forget about it, and then when I see them I remember and just blurt it out, then get an odd look.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:36 pm

I do this a lot. I end up describing the thing I can't think of and often the other person will fill in the word. Also like you say, sometimes I hear a word and I can't attach it to its meaning. Takes me a while to work through it, and people aren't always patient.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 2:57 pm

Looneytunes wrote:
I have the words in my mind, but can't always get them to come out of my mouth the way I mean to say it.
I can write them down, but usually after I read it, I have things that I want to change and most internet forums won't let you change them unless it also shows that I edited the post.
That is what I like about this forum.

Same here; especially when I'm excited or upset. My speech is often littered with pauses, stutters, and so on as I try to think of how to say what I want to say. And sometimes, the only way I can get words out is to use oddly formal verbiage.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 9:56 pm

Cubits wrote:

Ive had words or ideas wake me from a sound sleep. :coffee: I hate it even more so when typeing and dont know how to spell what you want so you substitute other words. Even worse is having to stifle you're termanology for people who should be well read but are not.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2012, 6:22 am

Processing delay is common with Autism. I regularly take 10 seconds to think of something. An autism psychologist once told me that the average processing time for someone with Autism is 10 seconds. Really, don't beat yourself up, you have to accept that this is part of your condition and just take your time. If people ask why then you can explain it to them.

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 7:04 am

Ann2011 wrote:
I do this a lot. I end up describing the thing I can't think of and often the other person will fill in the word. Also like you say, sometimes I hear a word and I can't attach it to its meaning. Takes me a while to work through it, and people aren't always patient.

This sounds familiar. And I find that people being impatient simply puts you under pressure and makes it even more difficult to retrieve the word you want.

If I'm with family or friends I'll use words like thingy, wotsit, oojamaflip to fill in the gap. Or I'll describe what I'm trying to say, so someone can find the word for me. My husband is used to me saying things like, will you put the .. oh, the hot water heating thing.. on please?

I've always been told that this is a processing problem - the brain needs a bit more time to retrieve the word or phrase. I think of it as looking for a book in a library - you know it's in there somewhere but you've just got to find it.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

Adamantus wrote:
Processing delay is common with Autism. I regularly take 10 seconds to think of something. An autism psychologist once told me that the average processing time for someone with Autism is 10 seconds. Really, don't beat yourself up, you have to accept that this is part of your condition and just take your time. If people ask why then you can explain it to them.

Explain that I have autism? I am not officially diagnosed and it isn't all that noticeable.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 10:09 am

lundygirl wrote:
If I'm with family or friends I'll use words like thingy, wotsit, oojamaflip to fill in the gap. Or I'll describe what I'm trying to say, so someone can find the word for me. My husband is used to me saying things like, will you put the .. oh, the hot water heating thing.. on please?

Nothing sounded really familiar til I heard this, I do it all the time. All the males on my mother's side do it, too.

Frakkin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

I usually just say "thingy" when I can't remember a word and the context is enough to clue them in. Or I try to describe it as best I can and hope they'll get it and say the word.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 10:42 am

I'm a bit like this. I think most people are. I also mess up when I'm talking too, and end up spurting mumbly gibberish. That happens too often though.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Cerberus_01
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2012, 10:44 am

A large part of why I speak funny is becasue I'll be mid sentance then forget what or how I was going to say something. I'm much better when things are being written out but speaking it's like my brain thinks faster than I speak and dosne't bother to remember where it just was.