Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 1:32 am

This is out of curiosity, and partly because I'm undiagnosed, but what are the major differences between AS / autism spectrum disorders and OCD / ADHD? I'm guessing at some of them, but I'd like to hear from other people.

As I've mentioned before, I always thougth my dad had OCD as he has a certain amount of "compulsive" behavior... but I've never been able to truly evaluate the levels of stress and their causes as he's always been a bit enclosed in his own bubble while being very conspicuous. :?

So many of the people on this board seem to have done their homework on the subject... It's a new perspective on an old problem to me though.

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Nov 2006, 1:33 am

I have ADHD, OCD, and AS

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 2:10 am

ADHD and ASD's have different traits so I'd say that one should be pretty self-explanatory, unless I'm misunderstanding your question? Are there particular common traits that I'm not thinking of? As for OCD, they say that the difference between it and aspie obsessiveness is that OCD obsessions are unwanted, intrusive, cause anxiety, etc. Aspie obsessions, on the other hand, are enjoyable for the person. And I suppose the same explanation would apply for the difference between OCD compulsions and autistic routines/rituals.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 3:57 pm

I have both OCD compulsions and autistic routines. My obsessions are both wanted and unwanted.

Some of them are like special interests, the rest are mostly obsessions/compulsions which cause anxiety.

I'm not sure whether I have AS or not. I'm seeing a psych for my OCD, and most likely have avoidant personality disorder.
Autistic traits - yes. A lot. But whether they'll get me a dx or not I don't really know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comorbidity

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 4:08 pm

OCD and ASD are closely related. One of the major points of AS is are narrow intense interests, so OCD comes with AS.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 4:12 pm

I have Attention Deficit Disorder (diagnosed) and possibly AS.

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Nov 2006, 5:27 pm

I have ocd and aspergers, it seem quite common for aspies to also have ocd, even as a child I had my obessions about different things and I would not talk about or be interested in anything else.
Simon.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 6:27 pm

I think Alex is kidding! As I understand it, OCD is basically a compulsion to take otherwise voluntary action, or similar. Apparantly, with autistics, it is either not voluntary, or with the same compulsion. ADD is apparantly an apparant lack of attention. With autistics, the attention is redirected elsewhere, so autistics may appear to be all three.

Steve

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 8:33 pm

AS and OCD can be co-concurring. There is no reason why it has to be an all or nothing kind of thing. Some people however may be pure one or the other - however OCD besides being anxiety based also has some very stereotypical behaviors like handwashing and checking.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 9:28 pm

I have both AS and ADHD and yes some OCD traits... miserable things they can be at times.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 10:01 pm

SteveK wrote:
I think Alex is kidding! As I understand it, OCD is basically a compulsion to take otherwise voluntary action, or similar. Apparantly, with autistics, it is either not voluntary, or with the same compulsion. ADD is apparantly an apparant lack of attention. With autistics, the attention is redirected elsewhere, so autistics may appear to be all three.

Steve

I wonder because I've never been diagnosed with AS but it seems to fit better than ADHD which is what they (well, the psychiatrist) told us when i was a teenager, but I'm wondering mainly if they're easy to confuse?...

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 10:44 pm

SteveK wrote:
I think Alex is kidding!

I don't think he is. I've been diagnosed as AS and OCD by the same doctor, AS and Generalized Anxiety Disorder by another, and would probably be diagnosed as ADD (especially since they're giving me ADD meds) too but both of my doctors know that AS often has attention problems that come along with it, so they just consider my attention issues to be part of AS.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 12:13 am

For the record, I never said you COULDN'T be OCD and AS! HECK, I used to HAVE to have clean hands, and a clean floor. SO, if my hands got dirty, I just HAD to clean them! Almost like Monk with his wipes! I won't even TELL you what could happen with the floor. Maybe you can imagine. Luckily what could ensue didn't happen OFTEN. I would think THAT could be OCD! TODAY, I try to wipe it off, and just not use it for anything I would want to use a clean hand for, and clean them later. For floors, I often try to let it go.

By contrast, the AS idea of rocking, etc... isn't really COMPULSIVE, and any tics, etc... aren't voluntary.

Drowning medusa,

Some people, ESPECIALLY females, seem to almost feel a part of the whole social construct. The ADHD doesn't explain the deficit you have there, and simple attention deficit would lead one to suspect you wouldn't be quite as smart. AS may LOOK like attention deficit but it is more of an attention distraction. You may be dumber in one area, but a lot smarter in another.

ANYWAY, if it makes you feel any better......

I DID used to act kind of OCD! I definately DID do some things an OCD way. I got rid of that LONG ago. It just couldn't fit with anything.

I think AS is the only thing that fits with my life in general.

As for the ADHD??? Well, I DO tune some things out intentionally, but I can't even remember anything my mother says these days because she has had so many inane discussions, that my mind like shuts down when she talks. So I guess that is ADD! 8-) And SOMETIMES I get nervous/tired and after a nice dinner, etc... I may act Hyper. I guess that could look like ADHD. 8-)

Steve

tortoise
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 4:39 am

I'll take a stab at it.

In a nutshell ADHD would be poor impulse control which would include things like; emotional regulation, blurting out, excessive motor movement, and even stopping stray thoughts/ impulses from sidetracking you from completing a task.

OCD - being unable to stop an impulse that you are conscious of.

ASD - difficulty interpreting personal and social meaning from a variety of different forms of communication.

Thing is, the more I think about it, the more I think there is more to each disorder.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 7:56 am

tortoise wrote:
I'll take a stab at it.

In a nutshell ADHD would be poor impulse control which would include things like; emotional regulation, blurting out, excessive motor movement, and even stopping stray thoughts/ impulses from sidetracking you from completing a task.

OCD - being unable to stop an impulse that you are conscious of.

ASD - difficulty interpreting personal and social meaning from a variety of different forms of communication.

Thing is, the more I think about it, the more I think there is more to each disorder.

Your definition of ADHD is too narrow. Although that WOULD be ADHD, other things could ALSO. Lack of attention, or distraction away may both count as ADD, and the hyperactivity could cause it, be caused by it, or be unrelated.

For OCD, you CAN stop it(just like monk could), it just leads to an urge of wanting to complete or restart. ALSO, the compulsion is either always the same(There could be different obsessions, but any given one will constantly remanifest), or has the same trigger, and is not considered reasonable.

As for ASD? Your definition is very incomplete. Some people even ACQUIRE that problem, and could clearly not be considered AS.

Steve

tortoise
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 10:16 am

Please give us a better "Readers digest" versions..or someone else if they want to take a stab at it. That would interest me. :D

As I know the disorder, everything ADHD can basically be described by some form of poor impulse control.