Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2012, 12:32 am

So ever since i was about 7, ( wich was also around the time my aspergers got more 'severe'/noticable) ive been having sleeping issues. Like im not tired till around 1-3 am ish but im hardly ever tired in the morning when i wake up wich is around 6 am. Idk if this related to aspergers, or if i have insomnia, but i was just wondering if any one eles with aspergers also had weird sleeping scedules?

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2012, 3:01 am

Hi,

I have non-24-hour sleep wake disorder. My sleep schedule cycles around the clock in about three weeks. At the start I wake and sleep at normal hours. Gradually my sleep onset and wake times shift later and later until I am up all night and sleeping all day. This has plagued me for years and makes my life challenging.

Most people with this are visually impaired. I am one of the few who are not.

Sleep has always been an issue with me. As a young child I woke up every night between 2 and 4 am. I still wake up 4 or 5 hours after I fall asleep. Some days I only sleep 6 hours rather than my ideal 9.

Issues with sleep are very common in Asperger's so it is possible that your insomnia is caused by it. Perhaps anxiety and life's little worries are also affecting your sleep. I know these keep me awake.

Vito
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2012, 3:48 am

fefe333 wrote:
So ever since i was about 7, ( wich was also around the time my aspergers got more 'severe'/noticable) ive been having sleeping issues. Like im not tired till around 1-3 am ish but im hardly ever tired in the morning when i wake up wich is around 6 am. Idk if this related to aspergers, or if i have insomnia, but i was just wondering if any one eles with aspergers also had weird sleeping scedules?

Wow, I know exactly what are you talking about, I am experiencing this at the moment. It started about 10 days ago and it is very unpleasant. I simply have trouble falling asleep (which I always had; if I am lucky and do not experience anything emotional I can fall asleep as soon as between 0:00 - 1:00, no sooner, if anything emotional happens during the evening, I usually do not fall asleep sooner than 2:00). However, these last 10 days I started to wake up after about 3-4 hours of sleep often unable to fall back to sleep. Even if I successfully fall back to sleep (it takes couple of hours though) I usually wake up around 7:00 and then I cannot sleep anymore (it is weird, since I had always been morning sleeper, who could easily sleep till midday). I must say that it really bothers me, since I am tired all day (not sleepy though) and functioning at school started to be quite difficult. Anyway, I am going to see my psychiatrist this Friday, so I will bring that up there and see what I can do about it.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:58 am

i also have a non-24 hour cycle, but i am able to 'force' myself to sleep a few hours before or after my 'natural' moments, and if my natural cycle would be opposite to the rest of the world, i can invert it (trough meditation), so i'm not usually more then an hour or 2 off of the rest of the world (still enough to be unable to make your 9 am appointments thougH0

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2012, 8:19 am

Vito wrote:
fefe333 wrote:

Wow, I know exactly what are you talking about, I am experiencing this at the moment. It started about 10 days ago and it is very unpleasant. I simply have trouble falling asleep (which I always had; if I am lucky and do not experience anything emotional I can fall asleep as soon as between 0:00 - 1:00, no sooner, if anything emotional happens during the evening, I usually do not fall asleep sooner than 2:00). However, these last 10 days I started to wake up after about 3-4 hours of sleep often unable to fall back to sleep. Even if I successfully fall back to sleep (it takes couple of hours though) I usually wake up around 7:00 and then I cannot sleep anymore (it is weird, since I had always been morning sleeper, who could easily sleep till midday). I must say that it really bothers me, since I am tired all day (not sleepy though) and functioning at school started to be quite difficult. Anyway, I am going to see my psychiatrist this Friday, so I will bring that up there and see what I can do about it.

I dont normally wake up after i fall asleap, but i used to when i was younger. From 3-6 th gradei would only get 3-4 hours a sleapband only in 45 minuit incraments. I was miserable. A technique my mom told me about (she also has insomnia) is setting a goal( lets say 500) and counting up until 500. But the first 100 you count slow, then for 200-300 count a bit faster, the by the time you reach 500 youbshould be couting at normal speed. It reall helps focus your brain on one thing other then all the things that happened in the day.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.