It's World Book Night - what is your favourite book?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

23 Apr 2012, 4:13 pm

lundygirl wrote:
I think World Book Day has been around a bit longer than World Book Night. World Book Day is celebrated in March in the UK, and schools often encourage students to dress up as a character from their favourite book.

Here in the UK we're celebrating World Book Night 2012, I understand this is the 2nd year it's been held. The background is this: a list of 25 popular or favourite books is drawn up and free copies of these books are given out during the evening. It's a fantastic way of sharing great books, encouraging people to read books by different authors, and generally promoting reading.

I just thought it would be a great excuse for people to share their favourite books or authors :)

Both the UK and UNESCO book days started in 1995. The Saint George's day Spanish tradition of giving books as gifts started in the 17th century as part of La Diada de Sant Jordi (also known as El dia de la Rosa, El dia del Llibre and Día de Aragón).

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. I cannot speak highly enough about this book. I loved the plot, the setting, the characters, everything. It set the standard for all other fiction that I've read, and most fail to live up to it.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown