It's World Book Night - what is your favourite book?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 12:44 pm

Today is World Book Night, and I thought it would be a good time to ask people what their favourite book is. If you can't choose just one, or want to go for an author instead, please feel free to create a list. This is all about celebrating reading and the written word :)

So to start - my favourite book is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams.
A very close second - My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.

Last edited by lundygirl on 23 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm

Ender's game or ender's shadow. I can guess ValentineWiggin's :P

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

23 Apr 2012, 1:08 pm

It is Saint George's day today and the birth and death day of Shakespeare as well.

In Catalonia and Aragon books are traditionally given as gifts today.
later tonight am going to put on a talking book version of Homer's The Lliad. :wink:

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

Obvious choice but meh The lord of the rings.
Tolkien himself called it a novel so I'm 'aving it :p

Edit: after all that excitement in September I don't actually own any other books anymore. Had many unread. But anyways not sure this is relevant.

Last edited by Fudo on 23 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:39 pm

Benjamin Hale - The Evolution Of Bruno Littlemore
Will Self - Great apes

They are amazing books.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

I have multiple favourites, many many non-fiction books relating to Dinosaurs and their contemporaries mainly. Also AS related stuff.

Favourite fiction books will include Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton, The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick and the Gon series by Masashi Tanaka. (If they count? No words....)

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

The Kinks: A Very English Band by Neville Marten & Jeff Hudson

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

I never heard of world book night, it sounds cozy :o

My favorite book is uhm well i don't have a favorite i like them all, but i can list some, like uhm the Harry potter books, i even have some in english, Darren shan books, The power of the sword, *still need to get the sequals* A darkness forged in iron, the curious incident of the dog during the night time *which i accidently left in my bag when i finished therapy school* Hmm i'll think about it more and maybe then i will edit my post :)

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:12 pm

The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:23 pm

World book day is usually in March for me, in junior school we used to dress up as our favourite characters and compete to see which costume was the best. When I was 10 and 11 I made it to the semi and final finals, thanks to my mum's sewing prowess!

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

23 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

MONKEY wrote:
World book day is usually in March for me, in junior school we used to dress up as our favourite characters and compete to see which costume was the best. When I was 10 and 11 I made it to the semi and final finals, thanks to my mum's sewing prowess!

Thats UK world book day on the 1st of March, today is UNESCO World Book.

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

I think World Book Day has been around a bit longer than World Book Night. World Book Day is celebrated in March in the UK, and schools often encourage students to dress up as a character from their favourite book.

Here in the UK we're celebrating World Book Night 2012, I understand this is the 2nd year it's been held. The background is this: a list of 25 popular or favourite books is drawn up and free copies of these books are given out during the evening. It's a fantastic way of sharing great books, encouraging people to read books by different authors, and generally promoting reading.

I just thought it would be a great excuse for people to share their favourite books or authors :)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:06 pm

^That's a fun idea!

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:13 pm

I am a huge fan, as you may have guessed :lol:

It's great because it helps get books out there into the community and into people's homes - people visit hospitals, homeless shelters, community centres etc and hand out the free books. They also head out on the streets and hand the books out to strangers, often recommending books by their favourite author.

Plus, authors like Terry Pratchett support it - one of the books on the list this year is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. So by my reckoning it can't be a bad idea!

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

Good Omens is a good book.

Catch-22 is my favourite.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

I can't choose just one. Let's say it's the zombie apocalypse, I'm being ushered away to an underground bunker, and I only have time to grab five books off my shelf to take with me.

1. Ubik - Philip K. Dick
2. A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

I'd also like to include Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but I think two of the same author is enough.

3. The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume 1 - Arthur Conan Doyle

This one includes the two best short story collections, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, and it's filled with all those wonderful explanatory notes.

4. The Talented Mr. Ripley, Ripley Under Ground, and Ripley's Game - Patricia Highsmith

A terrible cheat, but I have them collected in a single volume, which I'm counting as one book.

5. The New Annotated Dracula - Bram Stoker

Again, the New Annotated edition is the one to go with.