Do you like using colored pencils?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

I got a pack of 36 prismacolors since I was thinking color blending colored pencils would give me another medium aside from sketching pencils...however, shading so far seems to show color better, which is extremely disappointing. Do colored pencils just not work well as artist tools, or do they take a lot of practice to be able to use them well? I've been using all my sketching pencil techniques.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:27 pm

Have you tried watercolour pencils? Sorry, I'm no expert. I bought some myself, to give me a break from the hassle invoving in setting up acrylics and cleaning up afterwards. But, I've not practised with them yet. I've also got some pastels (including the pencil form, for detail work) and coloured charcoals (various greys). They both blend well.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

Prismacolor is a decent brand, no?

I remember, I used to draw as a kid, pretty much no more now, I remember as a kid, though, I'd have crappy little Roseart kinda colored pencils, and they'd just suck. Then I'd be in an art class or whatever, and use some nicer colored pencils and be like "woah." I think the thing with good colored pencils, is they're really soft, almost like crayon soft, but not waxy like crayons. The problem with that is, your pencils run out really quick.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

Prismacolor is considered the best brand for serious artists that want a good set of first colored pencils. Roseart/Crayola ones are truly atrocious to use, especially sicne they sharpen horrifically.

I am considering watercolor pencils as a better medium for color. I am thinking I will mostly use sketching pencils from now on and use colored pencils for solid colors with basic shading, because it's such a pain trying to blend and get texture on my drawings it's ridiculous.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

I've used colored pencils for most of my life. No exaggeration, everyone who has seen my artwork prefers my colored pencil art to my digitally-colored art. The technique I use is to color darkest near the lines and go lighter the further away from the lines I go. People seem to find it very appealing for some reason.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I've used colored pencils for most of my life. No exaggeration, everyone who has seen my artwork prefers my colored pencil art to my digitally-colored art. The technique I use is to color darkest near the lines and go lighter the further away from the lines I go. People seem to find it very appealing for some reason.

I use the same technique. still doesn't change the fact they are atrocious for blending, and that's a big part of my art style.