Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

This STILL goes on??

http://now.msn.com/now/0424-teacher-bul ... c-boy.aspx

I was bullied by my 3rd grade teacher.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 2:33 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
This STILL goes on??

http://now.msn.com/now/0424-teacher-bul ... c-boy.aspx

I was bullied by my 3rd grade teacher.

I got bullied by more than one teacher...first one was like some thing they had that was supposedly good before pre-school, so my first school experience was even horrid.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 3:20 pm

I was bullied by more than one teacher. In fact, my second grade teacher, who was one of the worst, was also the principal (it was a small school, with only four classes), and was very good friends with my third grade principal. So I had two years of utter hell. And intermittent hell in the years after that. Sigh.

I like this guy, I like his idea of the law that a teacher cannot continue in their job if they bully a student - but it needs to be federal. Forcing kids into situations like this is a human rights violation.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 9:28 am

I heard about this just now on Today. The father said in his video, the kid was very happy before attending school and then he began to change. His behavior got much worse, but, due to communication issues, the child could not tell his father what was occurring at school. He is clearly upset, though. Instead of labeling the child as disturbed and siding with the teachers, his courageous father put a mic on him and sent him to school one day. The teachers were absolutely horrible to him. The father confronted the school with the evidence caught on tape and the Cherry Hill school district FIRED the teachers. I want to commend that school district for doing the right thing. For once, they didn't bow down to unions and public pressure. Instead they sided with this sweet boy who was deteriorating thanks to the abuse he received at school. This is a success story and every kid needs at least one parent like this kid's father, to be an advocate, provide unconditional love and support, and to not blame the kid and force a label just because the child is not behaving like he once did.
It is one of those stories that makes me genuinely happy and actually proud to be human :)

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

The teacher is still teaching

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oYqdjzFMWE[/youtube]

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

The Today show said the teachers are no longer part of the Cherry Hill school district.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The Today show said the teachers are no longer part of the Cherry Hill school district.

Sad thing is if I heard right only the teachers aid was fired....and the others involved were just transferred to another school district. One time my school had a teacher who was 'transferred' or whatever or a guidance counseler I guess he was then of course after this whole mess of a student getting shot and him being the guy to comfort the students.

Later it's found out he was removed from the last school he was at for sexual harassment towards students....just to you know add insult to injury, I mean people trusted him but they shouldn't have. My school fired him, but I wonder if he is now at another school.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Sad thing is if I heard right only the teachers aid was fired....and the others involved were just transferred to another school district. One time my school had a teacher who was 'transferred' or whatever or a guidance counseler I guess he was then of course after this whole mess of a student getting shot and him being the guy to comfort the students.

Later it's found out he was removed from the last school he was at for sexual harassment towards students....just to you know add insult to injury, I mean people trusted him but they shouldn't have. My school fired him, but I wonder if he is now at another school.

Unfortunately, that happens. I am glad the Cherry Hill district did something though, not just let the faculty go on with only a slight slap on the wrist of nothing at all. The abuse was not excused which can often happen when it happens. Ideally, it would be preferable if these people found jobs elsewhere, away from kids. Some people need to face reality and realize they would better serve some other place. Not every person can deal with kids.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 4:15 am

And these are the people we parents leave our children with. Cases like this makes me glad my little girl, who is also autistic, is provided with exceptional special education by genuine professional educators.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

I was lucky to not get bullied by teachers. Sure I had teachers that didn't care but they didn't bully me.

I also think some people take advantage of kid's disabilities because they know they won't go home and tell on them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 10:28 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Unfortunately, that happens. I am glad the Cherry Hill district did something though, not just let the faculty go on with only a slight slap on the wrist of nothing at all. The abuse was not excused which can often happen when it happens. Ideally, it would be preferable if these people found jobs elsewhere, away from kids. Some people need to face reality and realize they would better serve some other place. Not every person can deal with kids.

I would not be sad if teachers like that were forced to spend some time locked up in prison...shouldn't bullying at the hands of teachers be considered child abuse, and abuse of someone else's child even? But I guess there are worse crimes like smoking marijuana...seriously though why do these teachers just get to go on to some other school or job but they don't really have to suffer any real consequences even though they could have left permanent mental scars on the child.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

Not terribly surprised. I was put in a resource room for the first hour in kindergarten through 3rd grade. All the teachers/aides in my home classroom were good, but there was another room down the hall for the more severely autistic children. One of the teachers in that room, who also happened to be the physical education / gym teacher, regularly and openly mocked a kid in my class who was overweight. He regularly made horrible remarks about the Down Syndrome kids right in front of everyone. The guy was a complete as*hole and to my knowledge nobody ever reprimanded him or did anything about it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

Yeah, I read this article. I'm really glad this guy got the whole thing on tape *and* got big public awareness on it. Perhaps there'll be more tape-recorder muckraking and plenty more special-ed 'staffing rearrangements'. It needs to happen.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ptjman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2012, 6:38 pm

I read the article and saw the YouTube video and i am horribly disgusted by the way the teachers treated that elementary school student. anyone autistic and anyone else with a mental difference needs to be respected and helped.
here is the YouTube video:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I know i am blathering but i am trying to make my point. [youtube]http://http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tfkscHt96R0[/youtube][/youtube]

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:08 pm

Oh wow read this!!

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... tard?lite/

Let's all demand that Kelly Altenburg,gets fired and never teaches again. Do they teach "common sense" for people who want to be teachers? Do they teach "respect"? Do they teach mandatory classes on special education? Oh but even Special Ed teachers can bully students too! 8O

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

I think our society really needs to figure out how to entertain or 'plug in' the inept in ways to keep them economically healthy and fed without them doing all kinds of damage to the professions they represent.

Perhaps the alternative is to call Playboy or Penthouse, have them get a look at these girls to see if they're centerfold material, airbrush the heck out of em to make up the difference, help them find 80 year old men they can marry, and - case closed - no more autistic children need be bullied.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin