Asperger's and second-language acquisition

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 5:45 am

I tend to be very adept at aquiring multiple languages in short periods of time I sepak Mandarin some Japanese Spanish HIndi Tagolog and vietnamese but most of it is out of curiosity good memory and echolalia.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Trontine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2014, 7:50 am

jk1 wrote:
English is my second language. As some people pointed out, the hardest is listening. I can read, write and speak very well. I like learning the logic (though not always fully logical) of grammar. I think as an ASD person, I have the diligence and a logical mind to persistently practice/learn writing, reading, speaking and grammar. However, listening is not just a matter of effort. As I live in Australia, I use English at work and everywhere else and I usually have no problem in understanding other people (at least superficially). However, with some people who speak very fast or with a strong accent (mostly some native English-speaking people such as Australian and British people), I may have a hard time understanding them. Sometimes I'm not very sure if my difficulty in communicating with others is due to my ASD or my English listening problem. I've had difficulty following what's being talked about in a meeting even in my first language. So I believe my communication difficulty is mostly due to my ASD. Is it really? I don't know.

I don't have much problem with that in English, except for a Scottish dialect I encountered, but when it comes to German, I can understand a lot, if people speak at a slower pace. Also if they are aware that I am not fluent in their language and adapt to that by using simpler words. But listening in on other peoples conversation or on tv, it is hard to follow.

It might be related to your ASD in the sense that people with ASD can have problems with getting easily distracted, and you don't have time to get distracted when people are talking.

Last edited by Trontine on 04 Jan 2014, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trontine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2014, 8:03 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
I tend to be very adept at aquiring multiple languages in short periods of time I sepak Mandarin some Japanese Spanish HIndi Tagolog and vietnamese but most of it is out of curiosity good memory and echolalia.

Oh wow, that is some unusual language choices. Which makes it all the more impressing. Are you familiar with the signs as well? I've heard the signs are really hard to learn, not only because there's so many of them, but because they mean different things depending on which signs they are put together with. The signs, from my understanding, doesn't stand for words, but rather sounds.