Is LUA a good game developer beginner language?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

Hey!
I have been coding a 2D game for the iPhone and its going pretty well, but my maths is struggling a little. (For example, collision detection and what not)
So I think I could do with something more toned down. Is LUA a good place to start practising? I sort of need to get used to the mathematics involved with game programming. I was thinking of maybe making a Garrys Mod game mode. I don't own Garrys Mod, but I could buy it.
What do you think?
Am I being too negative about my "skill"(Hah, what skill?) level?
This is my 2nd game I have made so far for the iPhone or anything in general.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 8:27 am

Using a higher-level language won't make the mathematics any easier I'm afraid, though it certainly may make it easier to express the mathematics without having to worry about things like memory management and pointers.

Why not try using a physics engine like Box2D?

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

Burzum wrote:
Using a higher-level language won't make the mathematics any easier I'm afraid, though it certainly may make it easier to express the mathematics without having to worry about things like memory management and pointers.

Why not try using a physics engine like Box2D?

Yeah, the reason I wanted a simpler language is because I wanted to make everything else a little more simple while learning.
Do you think thats worth doing though? Do you think I will pick up on it along the way while following tutorials? This is something I am very serious about. I honestly dont care how long it takes me to learn, could be 5 years for all I care. Any tips on learning the mathematics of games?

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

Madbones wrote:
This is something I am very serious about. I honestly dont care how long it takes me to learn, could be 5 years for all I care. Any tips on learning the mathematics of games?

Unless you're going to be working on physics engines then you don't need to go as in depth as I believe you're trying to go. Almost all modern commercial games use a third party physics engine.

If you are intent on working on physics engines then you should probably buy some maths and physics textbooks.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

Burzum wrote:
Madbones wrote:
This is something I am very serious about. I honestly dont care how long it takes me to learn, could be 5 years for all I care. Any tips on learning the mathematics of games?

Unless you're going to be working on physics engines then you don't need to go as in depth as I believe you're trying to go. Almost all modern commercial games use a third party physics engine.

If you are intent on working on physics engines then you should probably buy some maths and physics textbooks.

Ah, sorry. I just woke up when I put that haha :lol: (Im not the sharpest in the morning).
Im happy to use something like Box2D.. Do you think a book will help me get used to it all? Cant really afford a book at the moment, but when I have enough money I will buy a Cocos2D programming book. I managed to get to a decent level of Objective C from a basic basic iPhone developers book which has basically kicked me into a nice level of skill (When I say skill, I mean, the basics. Enough but not enough kind of a thing. Im still relient on tutorials, I might need some more Obj C books too).
But yeah.
Know any good Cocos2D books? I have seen one on eBay, but its 20 quid, so If I am going to buy it it needs to be good.
Thanks!
:D

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2012, 7:13 pm

Madbones wrote:
I honestly dont care how long it takes me to learn, could be 5 years for all I care. Any tips on learning the mathematics of games?

I went here (clicky). Inexpensive, and lets you learn at your own pace.