Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 11:53 am

What if autism arises (gradually in a population) out of the fact Western society doesn't consume as much cannabis anymore?

Apparently the first cases of autism were in the 40s, a bit after it was outlawed. I'm basing this off the fact people had consumed it for thousands of years before then (and so may have developed a symbiotic chemistry with the body) and that it may actually be helpful in counteracting it: http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/new ... ss-8763721

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, BUT....

your argument makes no sense, because

1. autism is present in children too young to smoke dope (unless you are arguing it's linked to the parents' marijuana use?)

2. marijuana use is as high as it's ever been (at least in the USA) and so is diagnosis of AS

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

Cannabis use was localized for most of human history and a majority of people have never tried it- in antiquity and today. Autism was not identified until 1934 because before then, nobody bothered to look to classify traits. You only had idiots, imbeciles, morons, mongoloids, psychotics, neurotics, melancholics, and there's probably others I'm forgetting; all of them do not describe any specific disorder- autism or otherwise.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2012, 8:53 am

Maybe autism is caused by no cannibals?

http://silencedbysilencedbyageofautism. ... ibals.html

www.facebook.com/cfoura

Kroni
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2012, 9:07 am

I can't say as an absolute fact you're wrong, but...you're wrong.

I consume lots of cannibas, and I have Aspergers up the Ass... (That phrase feels weird when you use it on Aspergers)

If anything, smoking weed exacerbates my social inhibitions, thereby exacerbating the side effects of my Aspergers.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

Kroni wrote:
If anything, smoking weed exacerbates my social inhibitions, thereby exacerbating the side effects of my Aspergers.

+1

but

there are people on this forum who say the exact opposite (that it relaxes their social anxiety and helps them function)

so I guess it is a highly individual thing.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2012, 9:19 am

Kroni wrote:

I'm the opposite. I find it usefully inhibits my otherwise problematic lack of social inhibitions.

Cannabis doesn't work for everyone on the spectrum but it's useful to some :)

www.facebook.com/cfoura

Kroni
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

CannabisForAutism wrote:
Kroni wrote:

I'm the opposite. I find it usefully inhibits my otherwise problematic lack of social inhibitions.

That's really interesting, I wish it helped me like that. I start to talk with a droll and my eyes look all funny, which makes me self-conscious.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 9:47 am

CannabisForAutism wrote:
Kroni wrote:

This is a good time to point out that cannabis is detrimental for use with some disorders that commonly occur along with autism, and can be dangerous to use along with some medications- both psychiatric and for other conditions as well. In places that allow medical use, consulting your physician (and not a doctor that cranks out medical cards for the right price) would be advisable.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

John_Browning wrote:
CannabisForAutism wrote:
Kroni wrote:

This is a good time to point out that cannabis is detrimental for use with some disorders that commonly occur along with autism, and can be dangerous to use along with some medications- both psychiatric and for other conditions as well. In places that allow medical use, consulting your physician (and not a doctor that cranks out medical cards for the right price) would be advisable.

Citations please? I've heard it can replace many toxic legal psychiatric medications

Which medicines are dangerous to use with cannabinoids? Please enlighten?

www.facebook.com/cfoura

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 10:13 am

Well no I don't think lack of cannabis use contributes to autism...but I know it helps with my co-morbid disorders, it does not really seem to change much about the autism but it certainly does not make it worse either.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 10:15 am

CannabisForAutism wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
CannabisForAutism wrote:
Kroni wrote:

Citations please? I've heard it can replace many toxic legal psychiatric medications

Which medicines are dangerous to use with cannabinoids? Please enlighten?

I know I'd rather have cannabis than prozac any day.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:00 am

John_Browning wrote:
CannabisForAutism wrote:
Kroni wrote:

The main thing to avoid with marijuana is taking it in combination with sedatives. If someone is stupid enough to use MJ with barbiturates or sleeping pills they are probably stupid enough to uses alcohol with them also. I would much rather see someone combining MJ and sedatives than alcohol and sedatives.

Portraying doctors who issue prescriptions for MJ as greedy unscrupulous profiteers is like portray gun dealers at gun shows as greedy unscrupulous profiteers. We know it happens but it sure as hell isn't a majority. I personally know gun dealers and doctors who issue MJ recommendations. How many have you met?

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:04 am

I know this was just said in a different way but- the reason that there was not any people diagnosed with autism is because it was not known (at least as a condition). So it didn't suddenly crop up some time in the 20th century

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2015, 6:29 pm

Kroni wrote:
I can't say as an absolute fact you're wrong, but...you're wrong.

I consume lots of cannibas, and I have Aspergers up the Ass... (That phrase feels weird when you use it on Aspergers)

Just like every medicine, including the legal pills corporations sell to everyone, it works differently for everyone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 6:34 pm

I am not sure I'd think autism just appeared in the 40's, I figure that is just when it was first recognized as a specific condition. Also if the outlawing of it actually, actually caused a significant decrease in use perhaps I could see that, but regardless of law it is one of the most used drugs in the world, even before current trends of legalizing in states and countries decriminalizing it.

I do however think cannabis can help autism to a degree, I know it helps me with some of my more difficult autism symptoms.