Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

CloudLayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

Why is this heppening?

I was for a while getting this yellow alert box sporadically on hotmail, either appearing when the page refreshed itself, or when I refreshed it, or was doing some action with email [paraphrased]:

Please refresh the page. When you access your hotmail account from more than one computer, we ask that you sign back in to keep your account secure.

I hadn't been accessing my account from any other computer but my PC for months, but even so, I wentthrough their account recovery process for suspected hackings, TWICE, changed mny password about eight times, and then finally read a thing that said cookies left on the computer could cause that (possibly because I had months earlier accessed the email on mobile and other computers), so I cleared the cookies and the yellow box did not show up for 3+ weeks.

Then just now I was doing literally NOTHING, in my mail, I just maximized the screen and a second later the alert came up. Then I write an email message and while I was writing it the same aletr came up.

Changing my password, going through the entire account security process, making it https always, clearing cookies and only using my one computer, does NOTHING to stop this apparently. Why out of the blue did this happen? This is one in a series of things that contributing to my panic attacks, because just when I was pretty sure my earlier fears of hacking were unfounded, this happens.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

One possibility is a conflict between Hotmail and your PC. The other possibility that comes to mind is that there may be a key logger or other malware program on your computer, that is sending your personal info to someone else, who is then accessing your accounts. You need to get a really good anti malware/anti virus program and do a thorough check and clean of your system. AVG is a good free program. You can find at least one other at KimKomando.com. She is a computer and electronics geek who has a weekly radio show where she helps people with computer and electronics questions. She has a lot of helpful info and programs on her web site. Check it out. I may not have spelled her name right, so you may want to do a search online for her first.

CloudLayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

Okay. Thank you very much. I will check out KimKomando. SHe does sound helpful. I appreciate the advice you gave earlier when I posted about this ongoing problem but I have been kind of too frozen in a pattern of panic to do anything about it.

I don't think it's a problem with the PC because I did not have this problem until last fall-ish despite having the account since 2010 and the past three weeks no alert was coming up until now, I don't know why suddenly it would now but it is really aggravating my anxiety about existing problems.

I spent about two full just looking at what cmd.exe brought up in terms of my internet activity but gave up trying to figure out what all the things meant. There were suspicious ports being used on there no clue what the next step would have been, tried tracking IP connections and showed me a few "timing outs" that could be the missing link obscured in some way (some connections that are "infiltrators"). Anyway just trying to explain this is not working.