Do you ever feel like a disconnected neighbor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 3:30 pm

Hi,
I live alone in a condo community and usually keep to myself. However, like most of us here, I am human who likes to talk to other people once in a while. I have noticed that several of my neighbors see me and say hi in a cool manner or act like they are unexcited to me see me.

1. For instance, one of my neighbors is around my age and recently started acting funny around me and gives me this really cold, "Good morning" or "Hello."

2. I had another one pitch an attitude with me when I said hi and also turned her nose up at a stray cat whom we both normally like. Today though it was, "He always sprays at my door." She then went inside and shut the door

3. Then another stray cat passed away whom everyone fed and I ended up finding her myself and so I went to kindly knock on the door of another set of roommates who have two cats and always fed her. They answered the door and were completely turned off by me when I told them. It was, "Oh, I'm sorry." I then walked away and they shut the door. I then went to talk to another lady who was really friendly and accepting. However, they went to pick up the cat a few minutes later but didn't bother to come knock on my door and ask if I wanted to help bury the cat.

I have nothing against these people as they have their own lives and want to keep to themselves and xyz. At the same time, this can be a struggle to try and connect with people. I think it's one of those situations

For those of you who live on your own, have you ever felt this way?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:01 pm

I would never ever knock on my neighbor's door unless the building was on fire. Why? I guard my privacy fiercely and I sure wouldn't want someone to come knocking on my door unless this building was on fire. (Yeah, I get aggravated when the Jehovah's Witness people come by. They always catch me off guard.)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:00 pm

What do you suggest the next time a cat dies? Just bury them myself?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

yes

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 9:07 pm

I will the next time however, I was just letting them know since they were the ones who took care of the cat by feeding her in the first place and appeared to take an interest and petting her all the time. They also have two cats of their own and so I thought I would talk to them because of those reasons.

Do you think it was still inappropriate of me to knock and give them both the news?

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I will the next time however, I was just letting them know since they were the ones who took care of the cat by feeding her in the first place and appeared to take an interest and petting her all the time. They also have two cats of their own and so I thought I would talk to them because of those reasons.

Do you think it was still inappropriate of me to knock and give them both the news?

No automatic answer here.

I can only say that plenty of people are delighted by another parent's child until said child pewps. Then all of a sudden the "Bundle of Joy" is a "Squirming Diaper Stainer."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 9:28 am

That is what they seemed to say about another stray cat who I happened to adopt.

However, I think we are getting off topic here. The reason I decided to write this was whether or not I seem to have trouble reading other people or whether they are a few jerks.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:54 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I would have just waited until I saw them out in the hall, etc and told them. I wouldn't have knocked on their doors unless it was one of their pets.

As for burying it, well I would have called either maintenance or animal control or whoever the city has to pick up dead animals and let them deal with it. If you live in apartments, there's probably no place where you can bury a cat. If you felt like you absolutely had to do something, then I would suggest putting it in a garbage bag and placing it gently in the dumpster. It sounds cold to do, but it's ok to do that. If you were very attached to the cat then you could have called the office and asked if you could bury it there and ask if somebody from maintenance could help you. I think the people were put off by what they thought of as being overly concerned for a stray and they probably thought you were trying to draw them into it, instead of seeing it like it was, which was a neighbor being considerate because you thought they cared as much as you do. People misunderstand others all the time. I wouldn't worry about what they thought about it.

You are lucky that your neighbors don't bother you. I live in a small town. A FRIENDLY town. It's taken a decade of being standoffish, wierd, being rude when I feel like it, making inappropriate comments, etc to get my neighbors to leave me alone. ;-)

BTW I did those things on purpose most of the time just so they would leave me alone. I know where the line is and I'm not afraid to cross it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com