Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 58 of 60 [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 9:11 am

Inspector Morse

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 10:43 am

r00tb33r wrote:
I don't know if anyone mentioned the more obvious one - Earl of Lemongrab from Adventure Time, considering the character was (allegedly) designed with the intention to portray people with autism...

Whether or not you consider the portrayal accurate, it was one of two items that made me bump into the definition of autism and discover exactly what I am at the age of 29. I found a lot of similarities between Lemongrab and myself, which led me to read about him, and then...

Never heard of the show or the character.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 10:46 am

Rossall wrote:
Inspector Morse

Really?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 10:54 am

babybird wrote:
Rossall wrote:
Inspector Morse

Really?
It kind of makes sense to me. Even including what little I've seen of Endeavour. Either an Aspie or maybe borderline?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 10:59 am

Well to be honest I've never watched Endeavour and I only watched one of Morse. I know John Thaw though so that's maybe why I could never imagine him as being on the spectrum.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 11:23 am

John Thaw is an actor. Maybe he is acting some autistic traits? Though it does seem unlikely they decided Morse was an Aspie and deliberately played it that way...especially since the series began in 1987, before the DSM added Asperger's. But they could've accidentally stumbled into the characteristics...in which case: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 9:46 am

Chance from the 1979 film “Being There”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:48 am

Takumi Fujiwara :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 7:56 pm

Mr. Casaubon from the book "Middlemarch":
This accomplished man condescended to think of a young girl, and take the
pains to talk to her, not with absurd compliment, but with an appeal to
her understanding, and sometimes with instructive correction. What
delightful companionship! Mr. Casaubon seemed even unconscious that
trivialities existed, and never handed round that small-talk of heavy
men which is as acceptable as stale bride-cake brought forth with an
odor of cupboard. He talked of what he was interested in, or else he
was silent and bowed with sad civility. To Dorothea this was adorable
genuineness, and religious abstinence from that artificiality which
uses up the soul in the efforts of pretence.

Sometimes I get the impression that Victorians in general had more ASD than we see these days, or at least were more aware of its merits. I keep finding what look like descriptions of ASD traits in their literature, which the authors often view favourably.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 8:28 pm

Robinson Crusoe

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2022, 11:56 am

I read a lot of the comments so far and none of these are mentioned:

1) Lilith Sternin Crane from "Cheers"
2) Wilson from "Home Improvement"
3) The nerdy balding Trekkie on "Frasier" who has a crush on Roz (not Dog, but that other guy)
4) Latka Gravas from "Taxi" (the '70s sitcom)
5) Vera from "Alice"
6) Steve Urkel from "Family Matters"

flyingsquid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2022, 11:23 pm

Matthew Cuthbert and Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. Anne doesn't understand social norms and doesn't know how to get people to like her in order to be adopted. She doesn't know when to stop talking and when others are interested in what she has to say. She doesn't have many friends despite wanting them. She doesn't know when it is appropriate to declare certain levels of friendship, as shown when she decided someone she'd met twice was her bosom friend. She cares about others but is still often very insistent on how things must be. Matthew has a desire for human connection as shown by his connection with Anne but is very lonely. They also have an instant connection with each other. Matthew doesn't have many friends and is a very kind person but is not very expressive of his emotions. Dipper Pines from Gravity Falls. He is very bad at socializing and extremely nervous in social situations, and he scripts. He is easily overwhelmed. He's obsessed with the supernatural and often rambles about it and can hyperfocus. He paces and chews on his shirt when stressed. Viktor Hargreeves from Umbrella Academy. He doesn't have friends, often speaks in a somewhat monotone voice in emotional situations and doesn't use gesturing or body language, struggles to communicate, and cannot tell when he is being lied to or when others are trustworthy when it is obvious to everyone around him. He also has an instant connection with a nonspeaking autistic kid, who comes to trust Viktor (who he has known for around a month) more than his own parents. He instantly understands the boy and doesn't think he is stupid, like everyone else around him. He is also obsessed with the violin from a young age and autistic people often have a good musical ability. As a kid, he hated oatmeal enough to throw people out windows rather than eat them, despite being very mild-mannered. I think his inability to control his power likely stems from increased sensitivity to sound, because no other character in the show with powers has any difficulty controlling it. Also season 3 spoilers:

Viktor is way worse at controlling his powers than Harlan. Harlan is very sensitive to sound because he's autistic. Harlan has had one major incident excluding the time he first got his powers, and that was when his mom died. Viktor's powers were deemed far more dangerous than any of his siblings' even with someone who knew what was going on constantly supervising him and trying to train him to use them. He then destroys the world like 5 times and has extreme difficulty tuning out noise to focus his powers or not use them. Since they're triggered by his mind focusing on small sounds, he clearly is extremely noise sensitive.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 10:31 am

Corporal Avinoam Shapira - Valley of Tears
Valley of Tears follows various Israeli Defense Force soldiers fighting the 1973 Yom Kipper War.

In Episode one Shapira working in the intelligence unit figures out the Syrians are going to attack. His pleas are ignored by higher ups who are annoyed by his badgering.

In Episode four Shapira and another soldier end up by themselves. Shapira demonstrates savant number memorialization skills and talks about being bullied and having no friends.

That type of person would not be labeled autistic in 1973 so the show is correct in not mentioning Autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 11:26 am

The movie version of Mantis, from Guardians of the Galaxy. Her superpower is empathy, but she just does not seem to get people at all.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 11:49 am

Gomer Pyle

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 12:54 pm

The character in the 2011 movie drive

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

- George Bernie Shaw