Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aspecialspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

After some of the stories of kids with autism being abused by their teachers came out in the news these past few weeks, I wrote an email to one of my state senators asking for legislation to put cameras in the special needs classrooms.

I know most people participating here are HFA or Aspergers but I have a serious issue with the children who are non-verbal not being able to tell someone when they are being hurt, either physically or emotionally, at school.

Do you think cameras in these classrooms are a good idea or do you think it violates privacy?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

There is no privacy in classrooms because it's still public. It's no different then having cameras in public places. I have had cameras on me in class because teachers would be complaining about me and my mother would want to see how I am in class and want to see what is up because I told her one day that other kids were allowed to misbehave and I wasn't.

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

I'd HATE to be in such environment. Big Brother in my classroom? No, thanks.
And that's coming from a bullying victim.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:54 pm

I think that would make a lot of teachers and students very anxious, feeling that they're constantly being watched.

There's also the more practical issue of then you'd have to pay someone to watch those cameras, when the schools could be using that money to provide specialized services, educational technology, or better yet - A co-teacher. Or at least an aide, or student teacher. Having two adults in the room might be a better way to solve the problem.

Also, it should be easier to fire teachers who are abusive, but that's another discussion.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2012, 2:10 pm

cameras in classrooms?
I'd have to say NOOOOOO!!
I'd be really conscious about them for a while... then forget about them... but every time it popped into my consciousness after that I'd just freeze 8O :?

KatzenJam
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

I suspect I have Asperger's and there is no way I could function in a classroom with cameras. I can hardly stand it when there's someone observing our class for something. I really dislike being watched when I do things, and will just freeze up. The pressure of being watched is just too great for me.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 3:54 pm

Cameras in classrooms isn't the answer.

In most of these cases it's down to a poor attitude towards disabled students and general abusive *@#$ who don't get nearly enough in the way of punishment (plus schools that allow this to go unchecked, and continue to hire these sorts of people even after they've been shown to abuse kids). As with any other area where vulnerable people are involved; disabled, elderly, children, there aren't tight enough regulations or enough checks being done to ensure no one is at harm. Camera's won't cure this particular evil of society.

Don't get me wrong, if I have kids who end-up in 'special education' I'll be watching them like a hawk if not only for the fact such education remains painfully inappropriate in supporting and respecting disabled kids, and if I saw any change in my child's behaviour I'll be strapping them up with microphones and cameras in a heartbeat.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

aspecialspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

What is the answer for kids who are non verbal? Locally there are aides who tell parents some of the stuff going on but shut up during investigations because they are afraid of losing their jobs. There must be some solution.