Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Was the government right in this instance?
The government is wrong, and violated a citizen's right to free speech 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
The government was right to cancel his appearing in the concert 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Just show the results 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:18 am

It doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum you're on, if you can't engage in political discourse without resorting to vile, insulting hate speech and thinly veiled threats of assassination and terrorism, then you have NO PLACE in American society, let alone it's government. I salute the commanders of this base for holding fast to their ideals and showing their loyalty to this country. Besides, there are plenty of other performers of the same genre that are more patriotic than Mr. Nugent, not to mention better music artists.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:21 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
It doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum you're on, if you can't engage in political discourse without resorting to vile, insulting hate speech and thinly veiled threats of assassination and terrorism, then you have NO PLACE in American society, let alone it's government. I salute the commanders of this base for holding fast to their ideals and showing their loyalty to this country. Besides, there are plenty of other performers of the same genre that are more patriotic than Mr. Nugent, not to mention better music artists.

Amen.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Barack Obama is the commander-in-chief, so the military has a responsibility to stick by their supreme commander. And if someone as soft in the head as Nugent questions the president's very loyalty to America, they have every right to cancel him.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Yes they do.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:21 pm

Ted Nugent is such a whiny b***h. If he want's to exercise his free speech he can still go to some random street corner and rant and rave like the lunatic he is. Or go to China and learn what real free-speech persecution is.

Neither the US military nor any other organization is under any obligation to allow someone to perform on their own venue. An invitation is a privilege, not a right.

I don't agree with the secret service getting involved based on his jerky comments though. Doing that just gives him attention he doesn't deserve, feeds him with more legitimate ammo to claim he's persecuted, and makes the secret service look paranoid and thin-skinned. He's not a real threat to the POTUS and should just be ignored.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:30 pm

I am pretty sure that "Freedom of Association" and "Freedom of Contract" are both important liberal principles that--while not necessarily as sacrosanct as "Freedom of Speech," are nonetheless the bedrock on which liberal, democratic states are established.

I have no doubt that Mr. Nugent's contract contained a liquidated damages provision in the event of cancellation, and that these amounts will be cheerfully paid as required under the contract.