Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

brightsunshine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2012, 6:00 pm

Does this sound familiar? - http://growingupwithautism.com/2012/04/ ... of-advice/

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm

Never heard this. :wink:

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 10:56 am

Yes. I love your comics. It's all familiar.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

brightsunshine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2012, 4:23 pm

do you guys think some toons might just offend the NT folks? i mean some of them may see themselves right there in shannoy and sunny. i don't want to or mean to ruffle any feathers.... just bring everyone along onto the same page and make everyone see this in a positive light light.

the guwa toons have really hit a chord with us parents of autism kids {getting good responses and hits} but i am slightly worried about the NT people. i want them to stick around and understand. what do you think?

any feedback on this aspect will be nice :)

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 5:58 pm

brightsunshine wrote:
do you guys think some toons might just offend the NT folks? i mean some of them may see themselves right there in shannoy and sunny. i don't want to or mean to ruffle any feathers.... just bring everyone along onto the same page and make everyone see this in a positive light light.

the guwa toons have really hit a chord with us parents of autism kids {getting good responses and hits} but i am slightly worried about the NT people. i want them to stick around and understand. what do you think?

any feedback on this aspect will be nice :)

Not sure exactly what you are asking - I am NT and I am a parent of an autistic kid. I think humor is a good thing. Even if sometimes you point out the less than appropriate (shall we say) things that NT parents or NT people in general might say or do in regards autism, that's reality, it happens. I personally haven't thought any of the comics are offensive. :)

brightsunshine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2012, 6:09 pm

oh i meant NT parents of NT kids. some of these toons serve more like mirrors to them and they are intended to do just that. and when in real life they actually say such things like 'dont worry' they say with all good intention but zero knowledge about autism. and when we counteract 'dont worry' with 'i need to be concerned since this happens in autism' we may be gingerly treading into areas of disagreement and pushing a point even an argument. does that reflect in the toons? should it? am not sure...

dang am i being too confusing? like rambling to myself... but am glad you think the toons are ok :)

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2012, 9:08 pm

I have been told by the speech therapist that it's best to teach with books and stories than with flash cards. My son def prefers the books to the flash cards.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:43 am

I think I get what you're saying, OP. I have conversations about my daughter, with other parents, and they never seem to get it and try to make me feel that I'm worrying needlessly.

Until recently, my daughter was a nightmare to get ready for school. I could ask her 50 times, in 50 different ways, to put her clothes on, would play games, have rewards, etc. But, in the end, I'd usually end up dressing her myself, if I could catch her and she didn't pull the clothes off afterwards.

If I'd had a particularly bad morning, I'd mention it to my friend. Her response: 'I get days like that' or 'Kids are all like that'. My internal response: 'You maybe have some days when your kids are harder to motivate or tired and you might be rushing out the door, at the last minute. But, your kids do eventually get dressed (even the little one), mine never does. And every single day is like that for me, it's only occasional for you, so there is a problem.' I'd never say that to her face, because she is a good friend really. She means well and is trying to help me see that my daughter's not that different. But all she succeeds in doing is making me feel inadequate - why can't I get my daughter to dress herself, when all she has to do is remind her kids a couple of times? Or, why am I so upset about this, when all parents go through the same performance each day? I know they don't, but I wonder if she truly believed my mornings were just like hers. I don't think she realised that my best morning wasn't any better than her worst.

The good news is that my daughter dresses without problem now. :D

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:33 pm

brightsunshine wrote:
oh i meant NT parents of NT kids. some of these toons serve more like mirrors to them and they are intended to do just that. and when in real life they actually say such things like 'dont worry' they say with all good intention but zero knowledge about autism. and when we counteract 'dont worry' with 'i need to be concerned since this happens in autism' we may be gingerly treading into areas of disagreement and pushing a point even an argument. does that reflect in the toons? should it? am not sure...

dang am i being too confusing? like rambling to myself... but am glad you think the toons are ok :)

What if they do?

brightsunshine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2012, 2:49 pm

wreck-gar, you mean what if NT families feel offended? nothing, we just alienate them even more. and i don't think broadly speaking it should be us vs them. that said, however am so sure some will get offended and nasty no matter how delicately its put out to them. and that section of people we shouldn't really bother about. the idea and effort is to get as many people NT and non NT as possible on the same page in a positive light. and there is a lot of work going on in that area anyways. what do you think?

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 7:52 am

brightsunshine wrote:
wreck-gar, you mean what if NT families feel offended? nothing, we just alienate them even more. and i don't think broadly speaking it should be us vs them. that said, however am so sure some will get offended and nasty no matter how delicately its put out to them. and that section of people we shouldn't really bother about. the idea and effort is to get as many people NT and non NT as possible on the same page in a positive light. and there is a lot of work going on in that area anyways. what do you think?

I highly doubt anyone would be offended by the cartoon anyway. I think a lot of the type of advice like that just comes from people being at a loss for words and not knowing what else to say.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 2:22 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I could ask her 50 times, in 50 different ways, to put her clothes on, would play games, have rewards, etc. But, in the end, I'd usually end up dressing her myself, if I could catch her and she didn't pull the clothes off afterwards.

Gah, my son is doing this now. He takes his pants off and will not let me put them back on and won't try to put them on himself (he knows how, sort of - after a LOT of badgering I've got him to put them on himself once or twice). I face this battle every time he uses the potty at home. It makes it so hard to get out of the house. It really rubs me the the wrong way when people try to reassure me by telling me his behavior is "normal".

dinab71
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2012, 12:38 am

Washi wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I could ask her 50 times, in 50 different ways, to put her clothes on, would play games, have rewards, etc. But, in the end, I'd usually end up dressing her myself, if I could catch her and she didn't pull the clothes off afterwards.

Gah, my son is doing this now. He takes his pants off and will not let me put them back on and won't try to put them on himself (he knows how, sort of - after a LOT of badgering I've got him to put them on himself once or twice). I face this battle every time he uses the potty at home. It makes it so hard to get out of the house. It really rubs me the the wrong way when people try to reassure me by telling me his behavior is "normal".

I have to share this,,,,I totally get it, with a 20 yr old aspie daughter,,,but your discription of your son reminded me of my master four...who currently has an obsession of running around naked...usually I can get him dressed, but after he has been to the toilet,,,its freeballing time apparently....Untill one day, nanny got so sick of seeing naked boy bits...she said if you dont put your dingletwang away, I will chop it off......now being male...his bits are vitally important to him...and now hes got pants on pmsl....

he is NT though,,,so my rant is of no use to anyone but a giggle..