Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2005, 8:23 am

I was wondering if there are any other Janeites out there? I have read everything she has ever written, and I love it all! I have seen the BBC/A&E Pride And Prejudice(what could measure up to that!), Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson, Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow, Persuasion with Amanda Root, the original BBC productions of Emma, Persuasion and Mansfield Park, and Pride and Prejudice-A Latter-Day comedy. I loved them all!! But I though the theare relese Mansfield Park was horrible. They did not keep the spirit of the book at all, and I think the spirit is the most important thing. I still haven't seen(but I look forward to seeing them all!) the original BBC productions of Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility and Northanger Abbey, the black and white Pride and Prejudice and Bride and Prejudice. The only thing I haven't seen and I think will be bad is the Pride & Prejudice they are making with Kiera Knightley as Lizzie-Ick!! Kiera Knightley is wonderful in many roles, but I would be shocked if she could do a halfway decent Lizzie. Plus the clothing is all wrong!!
Anyways, does anyone else share my obsession?

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2005, 9:00 am

I have only read Emma.
What do you like in Jane Austen's work?

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2005, 2:01 pm

I don't know exactly why I like her so much. I think she is a wonderful writer, and her style is amazing. She's also very funny. Also I'm very interested in the Regency Period, so that probably has something to do with it :lol: I like Emma, Emma is a love-it-or-hate-it type book. Lots of people who love Jane Austen's other stuff hate Emma, but more people like it. Personally, it is my second favorite of Jane Austen's books, after Sense & Sensibility!!

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Feb 2005, 4:49 pm

That BBC P&J is awesome. I watched the whole miniseries twice.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2005, 7:56 pm

isn't it amazing? I have a book on the making of it, it is very interesting. Also I heard that in England(I think near Chawton Cottage) They have a temporary museum with all the clothes and such from that adaptation.

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2005, 7:14 pm

Yes yes yes!!

Still stuck in Emma, though. Don't know if it's because it's the last one I'm reading, or because it's somehow less interesting than the others...

BBC's P&P was absolutely great. Very very good acting, very funny, beautiful people...

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 7:49 am

Many people who love Jane Austen don't like Emma. I'm not sure why it's different. Have you seen "Pride and Prejudice-A Latter-Day Comedy? I think it is a perfect modern adaptation of the book. Except I think Caroline should be played differently:)